CHAPTER 25

Aaron

"FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GOOD AND HOLY, SHUT UP ALEXIS!"

There's a dead silence in the car except Logan's heaves and James Arthur playing in the background. But it doesn't last long.

"Can't you let me enjoy my life, Dad?!" Lexie shoots back at Logan.

"Not if you are bursting a vein in my ears."

"Boo hoo Princess, Get better ears!"

I snort with laughter beside her and Ellie grunts at me.

"Ugh, I am getting a migraine."

"Alex!" Logan thunders, "You're giving my girl a migraine."

"Oh don't pin this on me, you're the one acting like Grumpy the dwarf!"

"Don't you dare Missy!" Logan says exasperated, "I am anything but a dwarf and you're the mean queen in the car."

"Shut up!" Ellie yells, "Both of you! Shut up and stay quiet!"

Logan and Lexie huff and puff but none of them are big enough idiots to cross Ellie when she's pissed at them. Ellie might be a sweet little thing all the time but you do not, under any circumstances, want to piss her off. The verbal abuse is just not worth it.

Lexie and I are on our way to meet Dany and Fred to help them choose a theme for their wedding. Turns out, Logan and Ellie are on the same way to the carnival so they jumped on; it's only one and a half hour from campus.

Logan is driving my car, because obviously. If there's a long drive, then there's Logan. El beat me to ride shotgun with her boyfriend and I am stuck in the backseat with a singer Alexis. God help my ears.

"Golden boy!" my right earphone is yanked out of my ears and I close my eyes and brace myself to be dragged into the middle of this.

"What?"

"Tell your best friend to stop bullying me!"

"Aaron, tell your girlfriend to shut up!" Logan snaps.

"She's not my girlfriend."

"I am not his girlfriend."

We both say at the same time and I look over at Lexie and her chin is jutted out stubbornly but her cheeks are flushed red. She peeks a glance at me from the corner of her eyes but looks away immediately.

"Yeah right" Logan snorts, "Tell that to someone who's actually dumb enough to believe that."

"Ellie!" Lexie whines.

"Sorry Lex," she throws up her hand in surrender, "But if not a girlfriend, definitely a future one."

I snort, "As if I'd ever date this crackhead."

"Well, screw you, golden boy!" Lexie fumes, "I'd never date someone as annoying as you."

"You're snarky!"

"You're boring!"

"That's called being kind!"

"Shut up!" Ellie glares at us and we both quiet down, "Stop bickering, you two get on my nerves so much!"

"But he's pissing me off," Lexie drawls.

"Because you're mean," I stick my tongue out at her and she glares at me.

"Shut up, you two," Logan takes the reign again, "now we will sit quietly like mannered children and play happy songs. Deal?"

Lexie and I grunt in response and Ellie laughs as she shuffles through the radio stations to find something 'happy and cheerful'.

I plug in my earphone and roll down the window. It's a beautiful, typical April day. We left the Boston traffic a while ago, because Logan's taking a 'short cut' which he's sure is the correct way. I don't know if I should have brought have a knife with me in case we get attacked, but I definitely like the view more. There are golden fields, stretching out in front of me with rows and rows of corn plantations. I am assuming it's corn but I am not sure.

The air smells of summer breezes and April heat and...tropical.

It's her perfume. I am acutely aware of how gorgeous she looks right now, with her side ponytail and bright pink lipstick. So beautiful I have to discreetly arrange my pants so she doesn't suspect the business that's going on down there.

My right earphone gets plugged out again as the topical scent intensifies. I swallow a smile and ask, "What now?"

"They're listening to country," she makes a gagging motion, "What are you listeing to?"

"Just going on shuffle."

"Alright," Lexie says, "Play Taylor Swift. I am in some 1989 mood."

"Aren't you always in a 1989 mood?" Ellie asks from the front seat and Lexie smacks the back of her head.

"Well, I mean she is blonde," Logan supplies.

"I am not in a Taylor Swift mood," I reply.

"Shut up, everyone always is," Lexie pleads, "Please do it, please."

I sigh, "Fine. Only the good ones."

She flashes me a brilliant pink smile and my breath lodges in my throat. She's so beautiful.

"One puppy dog eyes, and you go limp," Logan snickers.

"Look who's talking, Loverboy," if he really thinks I went limp, he needs to think again.

Ellie and Lexie's laughter is cut off by a hip beat thrumming in my ears, "Did you really put on 'Blank Space'?"

She nods her head energetically and goes near Ellie's ears to belt out the lyrics, "Nice to meet you, where you been?"

"Oh Dear God," Ellie groans, "Please no."

A chorus of protests echoes as Lexie continues singing at the top of her lungs, overshadowing Taylor Swift at one point.

"Oh God, no, Lex."

"Someone shut her up."

"Who allowed you to sing anyway?"

I am pretty sure there is going to be blood flowing from our ears very soon if Lexie doesn't stop. Jesus, that girl cannot sing.

"Oh my God, look at that face," she grabs my face and yanks me to the middle of the seat so that our faces are stuck together cheek to cheek and visible on the rearview mirror, "You look like my next mistake."

Logan and Ellie burst out laughing at the same time, "Mistake? That is some burn."

"You really think of me as a mistake?" I lean in towards Lexie.

"No," She gives a short laugh, "It's just a song."

"Well, if we are communicating with songs," I watch her eyes go wide at my next words, "El, play the best mistake by Ariana Grande."

"I am not your Alexa but fine whatever." Ellie grumbles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filler chapter :)