CHAPTER 26

Alexis

I am never getting a garden theme for my wedding. I might go full-on emo or goth in my dress selection but garden theme? No thank you. That is where I draw the line.

Aaron and I are on our way to the carnival after relentlessly hearing 'Would you like roses or Magnolias?' and 'Would you like wildflowers here and there or would you rather have it squeaky clean?'

Dany and Fred have obviously lost it since they're having an outside wedding, with a garden theme, in freaking May! Who even marries in May? Isn't June wedding all the hype?

Guess I'll have to put ice cubes inside my dress or buy one of those electronic mini-fans. Or better yet, I could yank a cooler with me wherever I go and I will attach wheels under it for easy movement.

"The turtleneck was a bad idea," I slouch against the seat.

"The AC's on full blast and shut up, at least you don't look like you're out of a sweat swimming pool," Aaron grunts.

If I thought, I had it bad, Aaron's condition was infinitely worse. When we got out of there, his shirt was sticking to him in every corner. Honestly, he looked kind of hot, with the fabric of his shirt bulging over his biceps and broad back. It was definitely a delight to watch. He's all dried up now so my eye-candies are gone.

Thankfully, I don't sweat much (Thank you, mom's side of genes). I get a terrible headache from the heat and if I had to hear one more difference between Magnolias and roses, I'd have burst a blood vessel, right then and there.

"Who even plans a wedding in May?" I say, exasperated.

"I know," Aaron shudders, "I don't even want to think about wearing a suit."

I share my plan with him, "We could always drag a fan with us."

"Yeah and maybe cover it ivory laces and magnolias or roses."

I snort, "Fan crossed the vibe check."

We burst out laughing and I like the way he looks while he laughs. No holds barred. His grip on the staring wheel is loose and his arms are the kind of veiny you see on Instagram and Tumblr. He looks at me once, with a stupid grin plastered to his face and my heart leaps out of my chest.

I look away quickly before he can notice anything unusual in my face or demeanor. We're silent for a long while before Aaron speaks up.

"We are here." the sight of the huge Ferris wheel looming up in front of us churns the contents of my stomach.

The cotton candy and mango popsicles will be worth it, I think, and get out of the car.

"This is going to be so much fun," Aaron rubs his hands together and I stop dead in my tracks.

I can't breathe. The sun is setting all around us and the sky overhead is cast with pinks and purples and oranges and it's straight out of a Disney movie. I can hear the chatter and the hubbub of the carnival and the air smells of summer and salted popcorns, and I can't breathe.

It's Aaron. It's the way he looks right now. The dipping sun is forming a halo behind his hair and it's so dark, even in the sunlight, it looks like spilled ink on a Wednesday afternoon. His eyes are glinting under the sun and are light and playful. His shirt is rumpled and the first two buttons are open, hinting at his defined collarbones. The curve of his neck is smooth and dark, mixing with the evening sun; the hollow of his neck snapping the little bit of sanity I still have left.