3. DREAMSVILLE AND PRACTICALLY A FAIL

ALEXIS

"I hope all of you have learned your lessons and will actually try not to make a blunder in your next exam." Professor Black might be a petite young lady, but she has the same effect of terror as a hydrogen bomb. It probably has something to do with her knee-length pencil skirts and the black, square-rimmed glasses she wears; it makes her look like the stern warden of the dormitories which are shown in those preppy college movies.

"You all know your topics for the midterm. You will be given a tape recording of a patient with some mental disease, and you have to see three tapes before you can come to the conclusion of the disease. Do not mess this up."

I had two cups of coffee before I walked into this classroom, but nothing stops the yawn that flies out of my mouth or the yawning that has been going on since Black opened her mouth. This whole class was a mistake; I should have dropped out when I had the chance.

"You may leave and please study." Professor Black urges.

Finally, the gates of hell have opened for me to go back to earth. Another hour of her droning on and on and I would have been a residential member of Dreamsville.

"So are you free tonight?" Liam asks, stuffing his bag with his books and the dozens of pencils strewn all over the desk.

"No, I have to work."

"Sucks. I was hoping you could come along with me and Andrew to Martin's"

"I wish I-"

"Alexis, a word please." Professor Black interjects. I nod to Liam and tell him to wait for me outside and head towards her. Towards my darkest pathway of doom. Or maybe just to get yelled at.

"Yes?"

I might be five feet and seven inches tall, but one glance from her five feet frame, has me cowering in fear. Once all of this is behind us and I am happy and graduated, I have to ask her how she does that, so I can implement it on my then colleagues. Specifically men.

"I am sure you are well aware of your...condition in this subject." She raises a perfectly made-up eyebrow at me, and my mouth feels as dry as sandpaper, as I cringe. 

"Yes," I answer timidly; my black combat boots have never been more fascinating.

"Are you doing something about it?"

"Yes, I am working harder for the midterms." I offer her a small smile but she doesn't smile in return. She nods and remains tight-lipped as ever.

"And I am pretty sure you worked hard the last time too, didn't you?"

I nod.

"Well then, what you need is a better understanding, not hard work- you still need that, of course- because I have graded your answers and the only thing you lack, is an understanding of the concept." Her voice softens, "I know you, and I also know you are a good student, so I need you to focus on what I am saying."

I look at her quizzically and hope to God she isn't going to tell me that I have some sort of learning disability, even though her biology class makes me doubt my own brain. Don't get me wrong, I am not a dumb cause. I was always good at my studies and still am. I was a great student in biology too, until this year, where I cannot form heads or tails of what is happening. I think it speaks a lot about her than it speaks about me. But my last test, brought my overall grade average to a B minus, because of a D in biology, which is let's face it, practically a fail; and I need a minimum of A-minus to stay on track for the scholarship scheme.

So I am open to anything she thinks will help me, "What are you suggesting?"

Black clears her throat and speaks in a crystal voice, "I think what you need, is extra coaching. I would be happy to help you but I fear I do not have that much available time on my hands. However, I am giving you a list of the people who have performed well in the last few tests and who I think, would be happy to help."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Reading!