its

"get up and leave," i quietly say as i help her up. before she notices i'm gone, into my house. i see her storm off, leaving the tupperware container of cookies on the doorstep. i grab mary, by the waist and smile into a kiss.

"who was it babe," she spins her hair i between her finger.

"just the new neighbor, she left though," i smile to her.

"oh johnny," i wish i could roll my eyes at the nickname she gave me, but i can't. i truly liked mary, she was super sweet, and helped me move into the neighborhood. her brother had just moved away to california for college, and got an apartment up there, and was alone until we met. she opened up about how he was never coming back, and she got sad about it. we actually talked about it for a while and that's how we started to hit it off.

"yes may may?" i respond lovey-dovey. i wasn't like this with anyone else, but mary truly brought out the best in me. she giggles and punches me lightly.

"should we return the cookie dish she left?" she points to the dish in front of the door. i rub the back of my neck.

"ah, yes. let's eat them though," i open the door to grab them as mary nods heavily in agreement. i pop it onto the island before opening it. the satisfying sound cracks into the air, and mary immediately reaches into the bin, and takes a bite, scrunching her nose lightly as she chews. she's so perfect.

the cookies are pretty good honestly, chocolate with hints of other things. it doesn't feel like clem made them, probably her roommate, charlotte, or she's just reusing cookies that levi made. god i hate that guy. he hates mary too, says they used to date. guy must get around. oh shit i'm zoning out.

"whatcha looking at?" i snap myself out of my trance and smile.

"you," she smile so adorably, and chomps the cookie again. i smile and pull her into a hug from behind. i take a whiff of her hair.

"are you using a new conditioner," it smells like men's shampoo. like really stunk like it. i only use women's shampoo, it keeps my hair nice and clean + it smells good.

"oh um yeah, haha, my brother grabbed me shampoo," she turns around defensively and before i can think she kisses me, pushing me back onto the couch.

wait.
——
if you haven't noticed by the titles of the book past the prologue, it's a call between two people. so i decided i'm changing povs as the two people talk.

short chapters from schlatts pov 🤪🤪