THIRTY-EIGHT. break a leg

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Okay, now that everybody's here, let's get right to business," Riley spoke to the A-Troupers who gathered before her. East assumed that her announcement would have something to do with Regionals as it was only a few weeks away. "I thought since we're at the cusp of Regionals, I would go over how the competition is exactly going to work one last time. So there are eight teams competing for the Regionals title. First round will be solos. Michelle, that's where you come in."

"I'm ready to rock," Michelle confirmed with a nod. "I'm good to go."

"If Michelle wins," Riley said, causing Michelle to raise an eyebrow at her. "Sorry, when Michelle wins then we move forward to the quintet. Cassie, Piper, Kai, Skylar, and Sloane, that's you guys."

"We're definitely ready," Skylar voiced. "We've been working really hard."

"Yeah, the other teams won't know what hit them," Kai confidently assured.

"However, if Michelle loses, we go to the trio round," Riley explained. "Amy, Amanda, and Michelle, that's you three. Now, you absolutely have to win, because if you lose, we're going home."

"Well, we're ready if the team needs us," Amanda said.

"Once you three win, we then move on to duets. Richelle and Noah, that's you two. Once you guys kill it, then we move on to the semifinal group dance. Henry, Sloane, East, Noah, and in Alfie's spot, Piper. And once you guys win, all we have left is the routine for the final round."

"You actually haven't chosen the final lineup for that routine yet," Amanda pointed out. "And with Alfie gone, that means that there's only gonna be one alternate."

"I know. And, uh, I've actually made my decision," Riley said. East hoped she wasn't going to be an alternate. She was only in one featured dance, so the chances of her being chosen as an alternate were high. "Cassie, I'm very sorry but you won't be dancing in the final routine."

"It's okay," Cassie replied, an upset frown on her face. Despite how disheartened she looked, she remained calm. "I understand."

"But as our alternate, you're still a very important dancer. We need you to be ready."

. . .

Rehearsals for the semifinals small group were not going that well if East had to admit. The group had taught Piper the choreography that was previously for Alfie and now, as they were performing it, it was clear that Piper still needed more time to catch up.