EIGHTY-THREE. diary of a dance captain

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Having the support of your teammates is the foundation of what makes a great dance captain. Emily fell through as dance captain because her teammates didn't approve of her attitude; Lily fell through as temporary dance captain because no one on the team trusted her... East wondered what her chances were as a dance captain if her teammates didn't fully believe in her potential.

She tried to distance these thoughts dancing in her head and instead focus on what she was doing. Right now, she was rehearsing a Nationals group dance with Kenzie, Lily, Kingston, Henry, Ozzy, and Kai, which was being choreographed by Summer. So far, the routine was going great. Maybe East was overreacting about the whole choreographer thing because Summer's routine was coming together well.

"Yes, guys, that was awesome!" Summer cheered and the group shared smiles on perfecting the new section of their dance. "Uhm, I think we're ready to learn the next part."

The dancers watched their new choreographer demonstrate the next steps for the routine. After the third marking of it, Summer stood before the group who began doing the choreo full-out while she counted the steps. As they were dancing, Nick had walked in with Heathcliff by his side, and Ozzy suddenly stopped his movements.

"Do you guys smell that?" The curly-haired boy asked, a grimace of disgust on his face. His friends stopped their movements and looked his way. "It smells like an alternate."

East sent him a little side glare. She truly thought by now that this longstanding feud between Ozzy and Heath would've ended.

"You all know Heath, yes?" Nick spoke, gesturing to Heath who raised his hand with a smile. "Heath's gonna be our understudy for the national's small group dance—" Ozzy interjected loudly by letting out a laugh. "Is there a problem?"

"No problem at all. Understudy sounds perfect to me," Ozzy remarked as Heath walked up to him.

"Oswald, I am right behind, okay, watching every single move," Heath reminded him.

"Well, why don't you get used to the view, Heathcliff, because you're always gonna end up behind me."

"We'll see."

Noticing the unnecessary tension between the two boys and the distraction it seemed to create, East approached them and broke their little stare-off.

"Okay, guys, this isn't a drama class," East said to the boys before glancing at Heath. "Heath, you can take a seat and watch the rest of the rehearsal." Heath sent one last glare to Ozzy before heading over to the bench to sit. East looked over at Ozzy, who was still shooting daggers. "Ozzy, back in line."