XLVI. Bitterness-Part III.

Their journey led them through the forest and up the mountains that were nearby St. Tóflin.

As apparently these mountains were apart of the main section of the Ten Claw Range. The mountains were steep and cold, though not many animals or creatures really lurked about.

It was extremely cold at the tops of the mountains, feeling like subzero temperatures, thick snow covering the peaks and valleys within the range.

Trees disappeared as far as Jun's eyes could see as the black fog lingered around them. Blocking the sun and making the entire hike gloomy and uncomfortable.

Once the evening came, the two made it to some type of valley. It was embedded within all the tall mountains, barely any trees.

They were approaching a nearby overhead pass. It looked like a giant hole was carved into the mountains which showed the start of another valley. Gigantic icicles hung dangerously from beneath the overhang.

"Are you sure you're going the right way?" Jun asked as he continued to rub his hands furiously together.

His breath hanging thick in the subzero air.

Arkshan just grunted in response as he continued on his path in pure determination.

Steam constantly flowing off of his scales.

The half-dragon's body temperature was so different from the surrounding air. That once they had reached the subzero air, it constantly melted the snow that touched him.

A powerful gust of wind howled as it blowed through the valley, causing Jun to stumble in the deep snow. He thankfully caught his balance and looked ahead of them. Through the newly starting blizzard he managed to make out a dark shape in the distance.

It looked like a house from the sloped top and square body.

As they got closer, more and more similar shapes could be seen in the distance. The two stopped in front of it to see that it was a small house with no windows.

It was completely made out of stone, save for the wooden door, and looked damaged. Snow was piled up all around it as lone bricks littered the nearby area.

Arkshan went to open the door, but it fell in just from his touch. Jun peaked around him and saw that no one was inside.

It looked abandoned from the snow that started to gather inside and on the furniture.

They continued further into the ruined place and saw a large stone bridge overhead that went into the tall mountain nearby. Houses were built into the side of the mountain and in the nearby ones.

Though no lights or sign of life seemed to radiate from either one of them.

One place underneath the bridge stood out to Jun among all the desolation. It looked like a large building that was carved into the side of the mountain.

Barely audible sounds echoed from it.

Jun grabbed Arkshan's arm as his foot slipped down something nearby. He panicked, looking down.

Below was a deep hole made into the ground that seemed to have no end. Snow and ice went deep down, gradually fading into the darkness.

Arkshan hissed as he easily lifted Jun up and threw him to the snow covered ground.

A loud rumbling started as the ground shook.

Jun looked around to see that the snow around them started to fall into the ground. More giant holes started to form in the ground.