Chapter 3: Lightweights

There was a knock at the door. 

I quickly turned off my camera, placing it next to me on the bed. The door slowly slid open and Jake peeked his head inside.

"Settling in okay?" He asked. I nodded as he slid the door open, leaning on the doorframe.
"Yeah, it's nice back here. We had this bus last time so I figured you'd have plenty of room."
"Thanks again." I said "You really didn't have to do this. It's actually kind of ridiculous." I laughed. He shrugged, his cheeks starting to blush.
"Really, it's fine. It's one less thing that Josh can take over."
"The walls are a bit thin though" I said quietly, giving him a smirk. He looked back at me wide-eyed for a minute, I'm assuming understanding what I meant. His cheeks blushed even more.
"Yeah.. well.." He finally managed, looking around the room again. He stood back away from the doorframe, avoiding eye contact. "We're not too loud. Josh snores sometimes but, other than that, you should be just fine."
I nodded and put my camera back into my bag.

"You get anything good yet?" He asked, slowly making his way back into the room. He leaned against the back wall, looking down at me, awkwardly picking at his nails to keep his hands busy.
"I think so." I said, taking my camera back out to show him. "Wanna see?"

He nodded and sat down next to me on the bed.

"I don't get how you guys do it, but you manage to look great even when you're lugging bags out of the back of a van." He smiled.
"I think it has little to do with us, and a lot to do with the fact that you know how to do your job. I've seen your stuff, it's really good. That's why I picked-"

"What's going on here?" Josh was now leaning in the doorway, staring down at us with a smirk. Jake backed away and looked back up at his brother.
"Nothing." He said quietly "Jess was just showing me some of what she got so far."
"You're making me look good, right? Just like we talked about?" Josh asked, plopping down on the bed next to me, tilting the camera towards him to see. I saw the smile slowly fade from Jake's face. I was getting the feeling that this kind of thing happened a lot between them.

"Oh, yes, perfect." Josh said, taking the camera from my hands. I started to feel antsy. No one ever  touched my camera but me. I watched him closely as he quickly flipped through.
"Look at these, we look so cool. This tour is gonna be great." He said without looking up from the camera.
"Aw, look at Jakey." Jake reached out for the camera.
"Let me see.." he asked, but Josh moved away.
"It's fine, you look great, Jakey. Even she can make you look good." Josh laughed, finally handing me back my camera. I took it and quickly put it back into my bag. Jake sighed. 

Josh rolled off the bed and leaned back on the doorframe.
"So the guys and I were talking about going out tonight to celebrate before the tour stars. You should definitely come with us. It'll be fun. We can all.. get to know you more I guess." He laughed. Jake turned to me.
"Yeah, I was gonna ask if you wanted-"
"So you should come." Josh said, cutting him off and flashing me a big smile. I couldn't help but smile back. 
"Sure. That sounds fun. What do you guys like to do?" Josh looked over at Jake.
"Fill her in, I'll go get the rest of the guys and we'll head out soon." Josh walked out, sliding the door closed behind him. Jake sighed again.

"Is he always like this?" I giggled, turning back to Jake. He gave me a half smile and shrugged.
"You get used to it I guess. But um, yeah. I was gonna ask if you wanted to come out with us tonight. It's fun. We really just go to a bar or two and hang out since there's not much time to go out once the tour starts. If we want to do anything, everything pretty much has to come to us."
"Well, that doesn't sound too bad either." He laughed.
"I guess, but it's just nice to do normal things. Sometimes I miss it."
"Oh, don't tell me you're jaded already. You guys are just getting started." He smiled, shaking his head.
"Absolutely not. I'm just.. I'm a simple guy. I like a quiet night out with a few people. That's.. not what happens on the road. You'll see once everything get's going. Every outing is a big ordeal. So I kinda look forward to the night before every tour." I smiled looking up at him. He had light brown eyes that were so kind, so easy to get lost in.