Chapter 83: Letting You Go

Sam's P.O.V

My eyes shot over to the door, where I saw Jake sluggishly walk in, coffee in hand, sunglasses still down over his eyes. I knew how he got when he was hungover, and that was the last person Jess should see in the state that she was in.

As she picked up her head to look over, I felt her whole body tense up. I held on to her tighter, but she pushed me away, turning towards him. My heart dropped.

"Hey.." Jake finally said. "Can.. we talk?"
"Yeah." She said, going over. I reached out, gently grabbing her arm.
"Jess.. do you think that's a g-"
"Yes." She snapped at me, shooting me a look. I felt my cheeks burn. I pulled away, nodding.
"Okay." I sighed.

She held her stare on me for a moment, and then turned away, making her way over to him. He reached his arm out and wrapped it around her, pulling her close, leading her down the hallway. I felt my cheeks burn and my heart start to race.

"Hey.." I heard as the front door opened again. Danny walked in, two coffees in hand. "Where is everyone?" He asked, looking around. He handed me one of the coffees, and made his way over to the stage. I quietly followed him up, grabbing my bass again. He shot me a look as he sat down behind his drums.

"You alright?" He asked. I shrugged.
"Yeah.." I sighed, taking a sip.
"Sure doesn't seem like it." He said plainly. "What happened? I saw Jake finally left the bus. Did he come and find Jess?" My cheeks burned as I avoided his eyes.
"Yep." I nodded. He smirked, shaking his head.

"What is it, Sam?" He asked. I could hear the smile in his voice.
"It's nothing." I said quietly.
"Why do you even try to lie to me?" He laughed. "I obviously know something is up, so you might as well just tell me."
"Because I already know what you're gonna say." I groaned. He nodded, holding in his smile.

"You're jealous." He smirked.
"I am not jealous." I snapped. He looked over at me wide-eyed.
"That sure sounds like jealousy if I've ever heard it." He laughed.
"I have nothing to be jealous about." I said softly, pretending to tune my bass. I could feel his eyes on me.
"Look.. you can pretend all you want in front of everyone else but.. I know you. So, when you're finally ready to talk about it.. just let me know." He said, looking away.

The longer we sat together in silence, the more it ate at me.

"It doesn't matter how I feel." I finally blurted out. He turned back to me, smiling. My cheeks burned. I kept my eyes down.
"Well, of course it matters how you feel, Sam." He said plainly.
"It doesn't.. because she loves Jake. She'll always pick Jake. So even if I did feel.. anything, which I'm not saying that I do.." I said, peeking over at him. He smirked, nodding.
"Mhm.."
"It wouldn't matter.. so there's no point in saying anything and ruining what we have."
"If that's what you feel is best.." He said, his voice trailing off.

Of course I didn't think it was best, it's just the way it was. She loves Jake, and no one was ever going to change that, so there was no point in jeopardizing our friendship over it. I would just have to deal with it, if it meant being able to at least keep her as a friend.

We were friends, and that's all that we would ever be. And I just had to be.. okay with it.

"They keep hurting each other. I just.. I don't think she should be with him." I said softly. Danny looked back over at me, smirking.
"Because you think she should be with you?" He asked. My cheeks burned as I shot him a look.
"I didn't say that." I mumbled. He nodded, giggling to himself. "Besides.. she'd never see me like that anyway, so.. it doesn't even matter. Can we just practice now?" I asked, trying to change the subject. He laughed, rolling his eyes.