Chapter 155: Life With You Too

Jake's P.O.V

I quickly rolled off the bed, grabbing my clothes as Jess ran out the door. If her dad was here, the last thing I wanted was for him to walk in on me in his daughter's bedroom in just a towel.

"What are you doing here?" I heard her say. My heart started beating faster. I could tell by her tone she was nervous. If it wasn't him, then who could it be?
"Come on, Jess." He said. My stomach dropped. Travis. "You know you always invite me over when you're back in town." I hated the idea of her with him. She deserved so much more than this, how did she ever get involved with someone like him?
"That's not true." She snapped. I sighed, feeling a little better. I quickly slid on my pants, grabbing my shirt as I made my way for the door. The last thing I wanted was him alone with her.

"I figured you'd be with your little boyfriend." He said smugly.
"Oh, don't worry, she is." I said calmly, now pulling my shirt over my head. He glared back at me, trying to maintain his smile, but I could tell he was annoyed I was there.

Of course I was there.
I would always be there.

"Oh, great." He said sarcastically, his jaw clenching. I nodded, staring back at him as I ran my fingers through my hair.
"So, what are you doing here?" I asked. Travis shrugged, pushing himself up off the wall, reaching out for Jess. She backed away nervously. It made me sick to see how she got around him. I could only imagine what's happened between them to make her react like this. The idea of anyone treating her like that was enough to make me lose it.

He then went into his pocket, pulling out a small bag, tossing it onto the coffee table.
"I'm just dropping off her usual." He said, looking over at Jess with a cunning smile. My heart dropped. Her usual? She does this? Or.. did? Because I knew she hadn't done anything since I've known her. And if she did, she was great at hiding it. But.. I really don't think she has.

She couldn't even look at me, and it broke my heart. I would never judge her. But I could tell how panicked she was. It killed me to think she was that nervous about what I would think of her.

I held my stare on Travis as I finally saw her peek up at me. I didn't want to make her any more uncomfortable than she already was. We could talk about it later. But I knew Travis was doing this just to get a rise out of me, so no matter what he said, I knew I couldn't react. As far as he had to know, I knew everything about her. There was nothing he could spring on me that I wouldn't act like I already knew.

"Jake, I-" She finally said.
"She doesn't do that anymore." I said calmly, cutting her off. I grabbed the bag from the table, tossing it back to Travis, avoiding her eyes. "I think you should go." Travis laughed, shaking his head.
"You have no idea what you're getting into, man. I know her. You clearly have a lot going on, so why the hell would you want to waste your time on someone like her, and risk ruining it? She's only going to drag you down."

I stayed quiet, holding my glare on him.
"Come on." He said, now placing the bag in Jess' hand. "You and I both know that you quitting is bullshit, just like every other time. You know how it goes, we do a few lines, we hook up, and then I stay the night. And every single time, you beg me to come back."

I felt like I was going to be sick. I was sure Jess had been with other guys before me, but the thought of her with him, honestly, the thought of Jess with anyone else was enough to make me wanna snap. But someone as vile as him? I hated how she thought he was all she deserved, but that didn't matter anymore. She had me now. She would always have me.

"He's lying." She cried, turning to me with tears in her eyes. I hated nothing more than seeing her cry, and if she said he was lying, then he was lying.