Chapter 57: Switzerland

I sat up, hearing yelling outside.
Was that Jake?

Quickly making my way over to the door, I peeked my head out to see Josh and Jake out in the hallway.

"It's not like I'm doing this to spite you. I can't help how I feel." Josh said, keeping his eyes down, his arms tightly crossed. "You can understand that."
"Well, she's my girlfriend." Jake snapped. I could hear him starting to get angrier.

"For now." Josh said softly. "She's changed her mind before, who's to stay she won't do it again? She knows I'm always gonna be there for her, especially when you fuck up. I just have to be patient, and she knows I will be." My heart started beating faster. The fact that despite everything, Josh would still be there for me. Even after I had picked Jake.

Twice.

"She picked me." Jake yelled. "She could've chosen you if she wanted you, but she picked me." My cheeks burned. He wasn't wrong, but I hated seeing him like this. It almost felt.. cruel.
"I guess we'll see." Josh sighed, turning back and heading towards Sam's room.

"What is wrong with you!" Jake yelled after him, but he kept walking. "You can have anyone, why can't you just-" Josh turned around.
"I don't want anyone!" He snapped. "I love her!" His eyes then got wide as they met mine. My whole body went cold.

He loved me?

Josh quickly looked away, going back into Sam's room and slamming the door behind him. I heard Jake sigh, running his hands through her hair. He finally turned around to head back when he saw me.

I didn't know what to say. My heart was racing as he stared back at me.
"Jess.." He said, walking back towards me, but I don't think I could talk to anyone right now. I quickly ran to the bathroom, locking the door behind me.
"Jess!" He called out, knocking on the door. "Jess, please talk to me." If anything, I knew that the one I should be talking to was Josh, but that would only cause more problems at this point.

"Jake, just leave me alone." He kept knocking.
"Jess, let me in. Please don't freak out over this." He said. How could he honestly expect me not to freak out over this? I just needed to be alone. But not here. I opened the door, pushing my way past Jake who stared back at me confused.
"Jess?" He said as he watched me go over to my bag, pulling out whatever shirt and pants I could grab.

"Jess.. w-what are you doing?" He asked, sitting down on the corner of the bed.
"I just.. I need a minute." I sighed, getting dressed.
"Where are you going?" He asked, his voice dropping.
"I need some air." I said plainly, grabbing his jacket, wrapping it around my shoulders.
"Jess, I should come with y-"
"I need to be alone." I said. He stared up at me with sad eyes as I made my way towards the door.

"Jess please .. I just got you back." He said softly. I felt my heart drop.

I went over, leaning down and kissing him on the lips, gently touching his cheek.
"Everything is okay." I sighed. "I promise. I just.. I need some time." He bit down on his lip, nodding, staring back up at me.
"But it's late.. you.. you shouldn't go out alone." He said, getting up from the bed.
"Jake, it's okay. I know the area, I'll-"
"I just don't think it's a good idea."
"Well.. that's not up to you." I sighed, going for the door again. He followed me.

"I just don't think.. we should leave things the way they are right now, I think we should talk about it."
"Jake.."
"Jess, I know what happens when you overthink and I don't-" I reached up, pulling him into another kiss.

"We can talk when I get back." I sighed, quickly walking out before he could say anything else.

When I got outside, I was hit with a wave of cold air. I tightly clutched Jake's jacket closer. I didn't get too far before I saw Sam a little further down the sidewalk, smoking alone.
"I didn't know you smoked." I said, he turned to me, smirking, rolling his eyes.
"Yeah.." He sighed. "What are you doing out here?" He asked. I shrugged, shoving my hands into my pockets, leaning up against the wall.

"I just needed some air." I said softly, looking down. Sam giggled to himself.
"So you heard them, huh?" He said, taking another drag. I peeked up at him.
"Josh asked for some time alone too." He said simply, looking off down the street.
"Yeah.. I heard." I said. He nodded.

"What am I supposed to do now." I asked. Sam laughed, shrugging. He held out his cigarette, offering it to me. I giggled, shaking my head.
"Smart." He said. "Well.. how do you feel?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I love Jake..." I said, trailing off. Sam held his stare on me.
"But.." He smirked.
"But it can never be that simple, can it?" I laughed. He shook his head.
"Nope." I sighed. "I wish I didn't even hear him."
"Well, does Josh know you heard?" I nodded.
"Yeah, he saw me."

"You know, Jake is probably having a complete mental breakdown right now with you out here.." Sam laughed, taking another drag. I giggled, looking down.
"I know." I sighed. "I'll talk to him. I just.. I don't know."
"I'm sorry I haven't been very helpful." He said simply. "To you.. I know you said you wanted a friend but.. it's hard being their brother too." I nodded.
"I know, I understand."

"Trust me, I know you care about them both." He said, looking back at me. I felt my cheeks burn. "And I know it's not easy. And.. I know you and Jake just got back together.." He laughed, rolling his eyes. I couldn't help but smirk, feeling my cheeks burn again. "But.. as of now, I'm Switzerland. I can't really sway you either way." He laughed. I nodded.
"Thanks, Sam." I said sarcastically. He laughed, tossing what was left of his cigarette onto the ground, stomping it out.

"So what are you gonna do when the tour is over?" He finally asked. I peeked over at him, trying to get any sense that he had heard about me moving in with Jake, but he didn't show it. After talking to Josh, I was starting to have second thoughts. Things were moving so fast, and this is exactly what I wanted to avoid from the beginning.

I don't know why it was so easy to just dive head first into everything with Jake.

"I have no idea." I sighed. He came over, leaning against the wall next to me.
"You know.. we do have another tour scheduled." He said. "We haven't told anyone yet but.. it's happening." I peeked up at him.
"Oh yeah?" I asked. He smiled, nodding.
"I'm just saying.. you've done great this far. Why not.."
"Stay with you guys?" He giggled to himself.
"Yes, Jess." He sighed.

"You don't think I've caused too much trouble as it is?" I laughed, looking away.
"I do but.. you've made me look great." He smiled. I playfully shoved him, rolling my eyes.
"All I'm saying is.. think about it. I'm sure management would agree. I can talk to them if you want." I felt my cheeks burn as I turned back to him.

"Thanks, Sam." He nodded, peeking back at me.
"No problem" He said, reaching over and pulling me into a tight hug.

"I mean, who knows, you might even be my sister one day."

Jake's P.O.V

My mind was racing. The last thing I wanted her to do was run off alone. Alone in Brooklyn, nonetheless. I know she was from here, but still. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her. And now she knew how Josh really felt about her, so for all I knew she was off with him. My stomach dropped. I tried to shake the thought.

But I couldn't.

She had left with my jacket, so I quickly grabbed one of my sweaters and headed downstairs. I could hear the TV going in Sam's room as I passed. Maybe I was wrong. But I wouldn't be able to just sit around and wait for her until I knew for sure.

I stepped outside and looked around. I had no idea where she went, or where I was going. She could be anywhere. This probably wasn't the best idea. I shoved my hands into my pockets and started walking. It wasn't long until I saw two people a little further down the sidewalk. As I got closer, I recognized my jacket.

It was Jess, but I couldn't tell who she was with. My heart started beating faster and my hands started to sweat. I could tell it wasn't Josh based on their hair.

Travis?

My heart was pounding now as I got even closer. And then I saw him lean in, pulling her into a tight hug. I stopped. When he finally backed away, he looked back at her, his face inches from hers. My heart dropped.

Sam.