Chapter 67: Someone Who Picks You

Josh's P.O.V

"Alright, you should get some sleep. But if you don't feel good.. feel free to come back out." I said, smirking at her. I had no idea how Jake was going to react to this. For all I know, she could come running back to me after he decides this isn't at all what he wants. It would be hard knowing the baby was Jake's but.. I meant it when I said I would always be there for her. And maybe this would be what shows her that I'm the one she's meant to be with once and for all.

"Goodnight, Josh." She sighed, smiling back at me, going back into her room and shutting the door behind her. I crawled to the top of my bunk, trying my best to hear what was going on in there, but for the most part it was muffled. 

This was killing me.

And then I heard her start to cry. My heart dropped. What was he saying to her? How badly I wanted her to come back out and just stay with me. I knew I could take care of her. I could take care of everything. She didn't have to go through this alone. 

She would always have me.

"We.. we don't know for sure.. but on the way back to the bus we picked up pregnancy tests, but Jake, please don't freak out, we don't know yet, I just-"
"You're pregnant?" Jake said. I moved as close as I could to the wall, trying my best to hear.

"I don't know yet.. but maybe."
"You.. you might be pregnant." He said. I couldn't tell how he was feeling based on his tone, but I wish he would just get this over with.

"What are you doing?" I heard from behind me. I quickly waved Sam off, scared I would miss something.
"Leave them alone." He whispered. I waved him off again.
"What are they talking about?" He asked, now leaning in close. "What happened at the shoot?"
"Sam, can you just.. give me a minute?" 
"What's going on?" I sighed.
"Jess might be pregnant. But Jake doesn't want kids. And she doesn't know.. how he's gonna react."

"She's what?" He said loudly. I quickly shot him a look.
"Sorry." He whispered. "But.. this could change.. everything, Josh."
"I know.. but.. I told her if.. this isn't what he wanted that I would always be there for her." He stared back at me wide-eyed.
"Josh, you can't-" I waved him off again. He sighed.
"When is she gonna find out?" He asked, leaning back in.
"Tomorrow."
"Why is she waiting for tomorrow?"
"Because she doesn't want to do it here."
"Has Jake said anything?"
"I don't know because you keep talking." Sam smirked, listening in again.

"I'm not freaking out." Jake finally said. "I'm.. I'm happy."

My stomach dropped. He was happy. I moved away from the wall. I didn't need to hear any more. Sam looked up at me with sad eyes.

"I mean.. I guess it's good that he's happy about it.. right?" He said softly, but he knew I didn't feel the same.
"Yeah.." I sighed, looking away. "I'm.. I'm gonna go to bed." Sam nodded.
"Okay.." He said. "I.. um.. I'm sorry, Josh." I shrugged, crawling under the covers, and flipping over to face the window. 

The next morning I was woken up to the curtain of my bunk being yanked open, now face to face with Jake.

"What.." I sighed, rubbing my eyes. What time was it? It looked like the sun had barely just come up.
"I know what happened yesterday and.. I need the tests." He said, almost glaring at me. I sat up, running my fingers through my hair and reached down for the bag at the foot of my bed.
"Here." I said plainly, tossing it to him.
"What's all this?" He asked. I shot him a look.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean.. all this other stuff?"
"Those are for her too. They're her favorite snacks and a drink from.. you know what, never mind. I'm not surprised you don't know." I sighed, rolling back over. "But congrats I guess." I mumbled. He grabbed me and turned me over to face him again.

"What do you mean you're not surprised?" He snapped. I rolled my eyes. This is the last thing I wanted to be talking about with him. He was going to be the father of her child and.. he barely knew her.

"Nothing." I sighed. "Everything is great, and you two are perfect for each other. There? Happy? Is that what you want to hear?" I snapped. His face got angrier, his cheeks burning red. I sat up, shaking my head.
"You don't even know her.. you're so involved in your own feelings but.. you don't know anything about her. You're so obsessed with the idea of love.. but.. why do you love her? For all the things she does for you? What about her?" He bit down on his lip, glaring back at me.

"That's not true." He said softly. I scoffed.
"If it wasn't, you'd know something as simple as what her favorite snacks are, or her favorite movies, or.. anything. Anything about her that doesn't have anything to do with you."  He bit down on his lip, staying silent. 

"Look, I know you're upset, and we can argue about her all you want, but I know what you said to her, and you don't have to worry about that, okay? She's mine. And I will always be there for her. No matter what. And if her and I are going to be a family, you have to back off. I don't know what you said to her to scare her so badly that she actually thought I would leave her.. but I'm in this. She has me. Whenever she needs me. Forever. And that's it." He said sternly, his face dropping. "Thank you for being there for her yesterday.. but this is my job now." 

I held my glare on him, not sure of what to say.
He wasn't wrong. I just hated to hear it.

"Okay." I sighed. "You won't have to worry about me anymore." He stared back, confused, but eventually nodded.
"Good." He said, shutting the curtain to my bunk and going back into her room.

"How you doing?" Sam asked, looking up from his bunk. I groaned, opening the curtain again.
"Great." I said sarcastically. He nodded.
"I mean.. he's not wrong."
"I know." I sighed, hiding my face in my pillow.

"Well, how did the rest of the shoot go after we left?" I bit down on my lip, feeling my heart start to beat faster.
"Well.." I stared. He stared up at me wide-eyed.
"Well what Josh.. what happened?" I sighed, rolling over to face him.
"It's not even like it matters anymore. Not with.. all of this happening now."

"Just tell me what happened."
"She told me she loved me.
"Oh-"
"But she said that the way she loves me is.. different than the way she loves Jake."
"And what is that supposed to mean?" He asked.
"It means.. she's always going to love Jake more... so I have to back off." Sam was quiet for a minute, contemplating, holding his stare on me.

"I think.. that's the best idea." He said softly. "You deserve someone who picks you."