Chapter 88: A Big Deal

I stood back in the wings as they took their bows, waving to the crowd and eventually running off stage. Sam gave me a subtle smile as he made his way past, handing off his bass and going right backstage. I watched him as he walked off. That was weird for him. Usually he said.. something to me, but I tried not to think too much into it.

"How was that?" Josh said, coming up behind me. I turned around as he reached out, pulling me into a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer.
"That was great." I sighed. He flashed me a huge smile, staring back at me. I felt my heart start to beat faster. The last time I was with him like this was the first time we kissed. 

I wondered if he still thought about it too.

"I can't believe we only get to do this one more time." He sighed, backing away.
"Well, you'll be back out here next year." I laughed. He smirked back at me.
"Just.. me?" He asked. I felt my cheeks burn. "You're.. coming back with us.. right?"
"Josh, I-"
"But.. you have to." He said, flashing me a smile. I sighed, leaning back against the wall.
"I guess we'll just have to see." I said softly, staring back up at him, smiling back.
"See what?"
"See how tonight goes." I said, smirking at him. He stared back at me wide-eyed, his cheeks burning.

"Alright then, you go get ready and I'll see you soon." He said, leaning in and quickly kissing my cheek. Before I could say anything, he flashed me a huge grin and made his way backstage. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him disappear down the hallway.

I then quickly made my way onto the bus, rushing towards the back room. I would need as much time as possible in order to get ready. How was I supposed to clean up enough for a date when I barely had enough clean clothes for a normal day? I felt my heart beat faster and my hands start to sweat. Was I the one who was nervous now? Why was I getting nervous? Josh had never made me nervous, then again, I had never been with him like this before.

Rummaging through my bag I tried to find the nicest clothes that I could. I changed into a somewhat decent sweater and my last clean pair of jeans. I looked in the mirror and sighed. There was no way I was going to have enough time to clean up enough for this. For all I knew, he was going to be back here any minute.

My stomach dropped as I heard the door of the bus open. He was here already? I ran a brush through my hair and dug through my bag for what little makeup I did pack. I really didn't think I was going to need much, after all, I didn't really think anyone would be looking at me.

"One down, one to go!" I heard from the main room. I sighed. It was just Sam, and I assumed Danny. I peeked out the door to see Sam sitting down on the couch, beer already in hand. I quickly made my way into the bathroom, tying up my hair, and applying what little lip gloss I had left. What was I doing? I hadn't even gotten like this with my dates with Jake. Then again, it felt like Jake and I never really went out on dates like this. I couldn't even remember the last official date I was asked out on.

When I came out of the bathroom, I was met with Sam, who bumped into me.
"Oh, sor-.. well, look at you." He said softly, giving me a subtle smile. "You look.. nice." I felt my cheeks burn, biting down on my lip.
"Thanks." I said, peeking up at him. He held his stare on me for a moment before nodding and making his way back over onto the couch. 

I went back into the bedroom, plopping down onto the bed. It felt like my mind was running a mile a minute. Was this really a good idea? It felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I reached around my neck, playing with the stone from Jake's necklace. After all this time, I still couldn't bring myself to take it off because once I finally did, then it would feel like it was really over.