Chapter 174: Valentine's Day - Part 1

A Few Days Later

I woke up to the sun shining brightly through the bus window, blaring through my eyelids. Before I could even open my eyes, I reached over to feel Jake next to me, still asleep, his back facing me.

Despite the fact that he hadn't mentioned anything, knowing Jake, I'm sure he must have something planned for today. I had stayed up late last night after he had fallen asleep, finally finishing my card and the rest of his gifts for him. He always outdid himself with things like this, so I wanted to do something extra special for him today.

I didn't have to wait long until I heard him groan, turning over to face me, rubbing his eyes, flashing me a sleepy smile.
"Good morning." He sighed, reaching up, gently touching my cheek. I leaned down, pulling him into a kiss.
"Good morning.." I said, waiting.. but nothing. 

He held his stare on me for a moment, his eyes adjusting as he sat up, stretching his arms above his head. I felt my heart beat faster the longer he stayed quiet. He finally turned back to me with the same sleepy smile on his face, his hair a mess, flying away in all directions. I reached up, brushing my fingers through it, laying it down into place. His smile grew as he leaned in, gently kissing my cheek.

"So.. what are your plans for today?" I asked, in hopes to maybe help him along. He stopped, thinking for a minute, eventually groaning and lying back down.
"I have that one interview today, and then they wanted to film something with me backstage before the show." He said, closing his eyes again. My heart dropped. 

He had forgotten.

"O-oh.." I managed. "W-what's the video about?" He shrugged, his smile growing.
"I don't really know." He laughed. "They typically just tell me what they want me to do right before." I nodded, forcing a smile.
"When do you have to be ready?" I asked, now picking at my nails, trying my hardest to hide my disappointment. He reached over, grabbing his phone.
"I should probably get up soon.." He sighed.
"Do you.. want me to make you some coffee?" I asked, getting out of bed. His smile grew into a wide grin.
"I'd love that." He said sweetly. I nodded, going out into the kitchen, shutting the door behind me.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't hurt. I was excited for our first Valentine's Day together but.. I didn't want to make him feel bad. I know he didn't do it on purpose. I knew he had a lot going on lately but.. I guess I was hoping he could make time for one day.

"Hey!" I heard from behind me. I turned around to see Josh sitting at the kitchen table, coffee in hand. "Happy Valentine's Day!" I felt my face get hot, forcing a smile.
"Y-yeah." I muttered. "Happy Valentine's Day." His face dropped a little, staring back at me with a confused look.
"You okay? You seem.. off." He giggled. I nodded, turning back around, pulling two mugs out of the cabinet.
"Yeah!" I forced. "I'm.. I'm fine." He was quiet again.

"Okay.." He said softly. "Well, w-what did Jake get you?" My stomach dropped.
"I.. I think he forgot." I said quietly, feeling my body get hot. He stared back at me wide-eyed.
"N-no.. Jake would never forget. Not for you." He said nonchalantly. I shrugged.
"Well, what did he say?" I shook my head.
"N-nothing." Josh's face dropped, his eyes getting sad.
"Oh, well.. I'm.. I'm sure he's got something planned, or.. if you just don't want to tell me, I understand." He laughed. As much as I appreciated his optimism, it wasn't helping. 

I knew there was nothing waiting for me.

"What about you?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee. "What are you doing?" He shrugged, his cheeks burning red.
"You're looking at it." He said simply.
"Well, then you should treat yourself." He nodded, his smile growing.
"I have a new book I've been wanting to read so.. I'll probably do that."
"Well.. that's nice." He shrugged, giving me another sweet smile.
"Yeah, it's fine, I've gotten used to it. Jake's always been the one with plans." My stomach dropped.

So this was the first time he ever forgot.

"Oh.." I said.
"No, I mean.. well, he.. you know, he's the romantic type." He said, trying to save what was left of any hope I might have had.
"Yeah. I'm.. I'm sure there's something, you're right." I lied. He nodded, flashing me another smile, taking another sip of his coffee.

Then, I heard the back door slide open, Jake making his way out into the kitchen area, fully dressed. He reached over, grabbing his coffee and quickly leaning in, kissing my forehead.
"Thank you, Baby." He giggled, taking a big sip. "You always make it perfect. I'm so lucky."
"I thought you had some time before-"
"Yeah, they just emailed me, asking if I could come in earlier to make sure we get everything, and then another interview was booked so I told them to just come here, so I'm gonna head in now, but I'll see you before the show, right?" I bit down on my lip, nodding.
"Yeah." I managed.

"Jake, I think you might wanna-" Josh chimed in.
"Can this wait? I'm already late." I peeked over at Josh, shaking my head.
"Jake, I just think you should-"
"Josh, I can't even imagine thinking about anything else, can't you run it by Sam or something?" Josh then peeked over at me, his cheeks burning.
"Yeah, I.. I don't think Sam should help with this." He mumbled.

"Alright, well, I gotta go." Jake said, taking another big sip, pulling me in, kissing the top of my head. "I love you, I'll see you later, okay?" I nodded, and watched as he practically jumped out the door, slamming it behind him.

The bus was silent again. I could feel Josh staring at me but I couldn't bring myself to look back up. I couldn't be angry with Jake, not when he was like this, not when he was so happy. I knew he didn't mean anything by it but.. that didn't mean it didn't hurt.

I felt my body get hot again, my heart beating faster as tears came to my eyes. I wiped them away before Josh could see.
"Jess.." He said softly. I shook my head, quickly going into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I tried my hardest to calm myself down. I should've known. I should've reminded him.

But a part of me was hoping that I wouldn't have to.

Valentine's Day was always important to me; every year my dad would surprise me in the morning with a card and flowers and candy and one of those stuffed bears that you never had any use for come the 15th, but I still kept every single one. Travis never believed in Valentine's Day, he always said that "one day didn't determine how much I loved you," but he never really showed me that he did any other day of the year. And my dad knew this, so even when I was with Travis he had made sure I always woke up to those things. This was the first year I didn't have him, but this was also the first year I had Jake, so I was.. so excited to finally have this day with someone I loved so much.. but waking up to not so much as a "Happy Valentine's Day" from Jake just made me feel.. empty.

When I finally cleaned myself up, I quickly made my way back into the bedroom. My heart jumped, more tears coming to my eyes when I saw a small box of candy and a tiny stuffed elephant sitting on my pillow, and a card carefully placed on the end table. A smile escaped my lips, my heart beating faster as I went over, picking up the card.

"The best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with."

I promise you this, I'll always look out for you.

Happy Valentine's Day, Jess.
Love always,
Josh.