Chapter 145: Jake's P.O.V

Jake's P.O.V

Never in my life did I think I would have to stand in the crowd, listening to someone else sing songs about my girlfriend.

I squeezed Jess' hand tighter, quickly finishing my drink. One would be enough to at least hold me over until the end of the set. My heart started beating faster as I felt her thumb gently tracing over the top of my hand. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her peeking up at me. Finally, I looked back down at her, and she gave me a subtle smile. My cheeks burned.

All I wanted was to go back to her place. I reached my hand into my pocket, holding on to the little black box. I had decided that.. tonight was the night.

"Hey.." She said, pulling me down towards her. I looked back, snapping out of it.
"I'm sorry." She mouthed. My heart dropped. This wasn't about her, this had nothing to do with her. I wasn't angry with her at all. She did nothing wrong. I just.. I hated how I got. I hated how easily I could get so jealous, even when she gave me no reason to be. I held my stare on her, leaning in, gently kissing her cheek and forcing a smile. My heart jumped as she pulled me in closer, holding on tightly to my arm, leaning her head on my shoulder. I bit down on my lip, holding in my smile. I always loved when she held me like this.

"You guys sound amazing out there!" Travis yelled, making his way towards the front of the stage. "We're gonna slow it down a bit with this next one, sing along if you know the words."

My heart sank. I held my glare on him, clenching my jaw.
"Is he fucking joking?" I snapped.
"Jake, I swear, I had no idea, I'm sorry.." She said.
"What went on between you two?" I said, keeping my eyes forward. I felt like I was going to be sick. Two songs about her, and who knew how many more there were that he hadn't sung. And after everything, I had only written her one. I hated feeling like.. I was never doing enough for her. Like even someone like him.. 

I quickly shook the thought.

"Do we really have to talk about this now?" She asked. I rolled my eyes, pulling away from her, going back over to the bar. I had to get out of there before I said something I regretted, something I didn't mean. 

"Just a water please." I said softly, keeping my eyes down. The last thing I wanted was to be too drunk for later. I was nervous enough as it was, but I knew it was for the best.

I must've had about four or five glasses before the show ended, just something to keep myself and my hands busy. I would explain everything to her later. Hopefully, in a matter of hours, this would all be behind us and we'd be celebrating.

"Hey! You guys waited!" I heard. My heart dropped. Travis. Unfortunately, I'd now know that voice anywhere. I perked my head up, turning back to face them. Jess had made her way over to her parents, Travis walking up behind them. I hopped down from my stool, nervously tripping as I caught my footing. My cheeks burned. When I got over, I wrapped my arm around Jess, pulling her up against me, flashing Travis a huge, fake smile.
"Great show!" I lied. Travis turned to me, his cunning smile making my skin crawl.

"That's funny.." Travis said, crossing his arms. "You look a little different than you did in your video." My stomach dropped, my body going cold. Of course he had seen the video. My heart started beating faster, my face flushing with rage. But I couldn't let him know he was getting to me, despite knowing damn well that wasn't me.
"We're really gonna do this?" I said, smirking back at him, trying my best to sound as calm as possible. It was taking everything in me not to swing at him right now. He shrugged, flashing me a smug smile.
"I don't know what you're talking about."