Chapter 197: Little Girl

As I peaked out the window, I could see the group of fans getting bigger and bigger, moving in, surrounding him at all sides. I could tell just by his face that he was getting anxious, forcing a smile so they couldn't tell.

But I could always tell.

"I'm gonna go get him." I said, quickly making my way through the bus.
"Jess.." Sam jumped up again.
"Sam, not now. I'm sorry, but.." I managed, shaking my head, quickly heading down the steps and peeking outside.

Everyone's eyes shot over as I stepped out, Jake's included. I knew he didn't want me around anyone, not anymore, so I knew this would give him the push he needed to finally come back in.
"Guys, I.. thank you for coming out. But I.. I have to go. I can't wait to see you all later at the show!" He said, trying his best to push past. But they wouldn't budge.

As I made my way over, I saw his eyes go wide, his jaw clenching.
"Jess!" One said, turning to me. A few more looked over.
"No." Jake finally said, gently moving past them, grabbing my hand. "I'll see you guys later!" He called out, quickly pulling me back onto the bus. I bit down on my lip, holding in my satisfied grin. Deep down I loved how protective he got over me.

"What did I say about going out-" He turned to me, noticing my smile. He shook his head, smirking back at me.
"You did that on purpose." He said softly. I nodded, pulling him into a gentle kiss.
"He wants to talk to you again." I said, motioning back towards our room. His face dropped.

"It's okay." I assured him. "I promise."
"Yeah." He laughed. "Cause that went so well the first time."
"I.. I talked to him." His smile grew.
"What did you say?" He asked.
"I said enough. Now.." I motioned back again. He pulled me in, kissing my forehead.
"You're lucky I love you." He sighed, playfully rolling his eyes, making his way into the back.

Jake's P.O.V

I don't know how she managed to put me through this again. He hated me, and there was no changing his mind. So I was sure this was all just going to be another huge waste of time. But.. whatever she wanted. Anything for her.

I took a deep breath before opening the door where I was met with his same stern glare that made my stomach turn.
"So.. what did she say to you to get you to talk to me again?" I asked, leaning back up against the door, crossing my arms. He nodded, giving me a subtle smile.
"Well, I'm sure you of all people know how persuasive she can be." He said simply. I nodded, smirking back at him.
"That I do." I laughed.

He was quiet, holding his stare on me. I did the same.
"She really loves you." He sighed. I felt my cheeks burn, biting down on my lip to contain my smile.
"Yeah, for some reason." I joked, looking down at my feet.
"Funny, that's what I was thinking too." He said. I felt my stomach drop. Were we not at the point of kidding around with each other yet? I could never read the room when it came to him.

"But.. she does." He added. "And.. that's never gonna change."
"And I love her." I said, peeking up at him. "I would do anything for her."
"She's scared you know. She may act like she's okay but.. she's terrified." My heart dropped.
"S-she is?" He nodded.
"But she said.. you make it easier, because of how sure you are. So.. thank you for giving her that sense of security. That's something I've always hoped she would be able to find. Every day was a nightmare with Travis, and.. what she needs is consistency and reassurance."
"And I can give that to her. Whenever she needs it." He nodded, staring back at me.

"You know, she had called me, a few times.. crying over you. That's why it's so hard for me to like you, Jake. I've heard too much. Do you know how heartbreaking it is to hear your daughter cry like that? To hear how much she's hurting? And to know that there's nothing you can do about it except watch it play out?" I shook my head, feeling my cheeks burn.

"We've.. been through a lot, but.. I need you to know how seriously I take this. I don't take it lightly. I know how it sounds but.. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. It was just a matter of waiting for when she was ready. And I would, I did, and I would've waited forever.. for her."
"You sure always know the perfect thing to say.." He sighed, smirking back at me. I felt my heart start to beat faster. "No wonder she likes you."
"I hope she likes me because I mean it." I laughed. He nodded, his smile growing.

"She.. she's really scared?" I asked. He nodded.
"But you didn't hear it from me. Just.. please be there. As far as she's concerned, it's like.. you have it all figured out. So you make her feel like she's ready too."
"I have no idea what I'm doing either but.. I'm just excited to learn with her."

"When is she due?" He asked. My stomach dropped.
"Well, we.. we don't know yet. We're gonna find out soon. At her next appointment."
"Will you let me know?" I bit down on my lip, my eyes getting wide. I quickly nodded.
"Y-yeah. Of course."
"She's my little girl, you know." He said softly. I nodded.
"I hope you have the privilege of having a little girl so you can understand how I feel."
"To be honest.." I added. "I.. I hope it is a girl. I would love nothing more than a tiny Jess." I laughed, feeling my face get hot. I could hear him giggling to himself.
"She was a cute kid." He sighed.

I didn't understand what was happening between us right now, but I was too terrified to ask. I knew it was better to just accept it and roll with it. I could ask Jess about it later.

"Can I ask.." He said, staring up at me with a questionable look. I nodded.
"What?"
"You.. very much.. have it all right now. Why.. rush into this? Any guy in your position would've probably run for the hills by now. So.."
"Well, I didn't have it all, not even close, not until I met Jess. She was just.. the missing piece. Now it just.. feels right. I love that I get to live my dream and have my family with me. Cause.. isn't that the real dream? Not many people in my position are so lucky. And honestly, I didn't even want to have a family before her, but now.. with her.. I want everything. And.. I'm really excited."
"Then I guess she's lucky to have you." He admitted, pushing himself up from the bed, reaching his hand out to me. I felt my heart start to race as I looked down at it, hesitating before reaching out, shaking it firmly.

"What I told you stays between us." He said, squeezing my hand tighter. I nodded.
"Okay." He smirked, peering his eyes at me. He knew that I was going to tell her everything.
"Okay." He finally let go, and I moved out of the way as he went for the door. 

Jess' head popped up as it opened, staring back at me. I gave her a nod and a satisfied smile. She flashed me a wide grin, getting up from the table where she had been sitting across from Josh. I felt a slight pang in my stomach, but decided to ignore it. Things were going well, more than well now. I didn't have anything to worry about.. right?

She ran over to her dad, wrapping him in a tight hug. He held her close, kissing the top of her head.
"You got a good one, I guess." He sighed, peeking back at me. She nodded, looking back at me.
"I do." She agreed, now making her way over to me, wrapping her arms around my neck, pulling me into a passionate kiss. My heart jumped, my body getting hot as I became more aware of everyone's eyes on us.

But she didn't seem to care at all.
I loved that.