Chapter 185: Unlikely

I pushed him away as I was instantly met with the bitter taste of his liquor stained lips, suffocating me with the lingering aroma of the smoke on his breath. Something I had once craved so deeply, now made me sick to my stomach.

"No!" I shouted, swiftly striking him across the face. "You don't get to touch me like that. Not anymore. He is the only one who can touch me anymore!" His eyes got wide, groaning as he quickly blinked away the sudden tears, holding his cheek where my dark pink hand print slowly started becoming more defined.
"Shit, Jess! What the f-"

"You don't get to decide that it should've been you. I am so sick and tired of everyone thinking they can decide what's best for me! And you know what.. I.. I don't care that he forgot Valentine's Day. I don't! Because I know he will always make it up to me. I don't care that he fucks up because.. I'm always going to forgive him. Because he always forgave me, and he always will. You were there to comfort me when I needed it and I appreciated that and.. you're right. I shouldn't have run to you knowing I would always go back to him.. but I did. And I'm so sorry, Sam. But.. it's him. It's always been him and it's always going to be him." 

He kept his hand over his face, holding his resentful stare on me.
"Sam, we.. we can't be friends anymore. I can't keep doing this. We can try to be civil because.. you're his brother, but.. I won't do this to him anymore. He is my family now, and.. I guess that kind of makes you my family too, but.. HE is my family."
"Jess.." He exhaled, reaching out for me again, tightly grabbing onto my arm. My heart dropped as I tried pulling away, but he only held on tighter.
"Sam, let go!"
"Jess, please just listen to me!" I shook my head, trying harder to pull away, but his grip got tighter.
"Let me go!" I shouted.
"Jess-"

I then swung my other arm, my fist painfully striking his nose, finally freeing me from his strong grip as he brought both of his hands to his face, wincing back in pain.
"Don't touch me.. or him, ever again." I muttered, finally opening the van door, forcefully slamming it behind me.

I quickly reached out, leaning my hand up against the van for balance as my head started to spin again. I frantically looked around until I finally saw Jake sitting on the pavement with his head tilted back, my shirt still pressed against his face.
"Jake.." I sighed. His head perked up when he heard me, pushing himself up from the ground, hastily making his way over to me.

"Jess, I-" I pulled him into a tight hug, securely wrapping my arms around his neck, hiding my face in his chest, just needing him as close as possible. He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around my waist, pulling me up against him. He stayed quiet, his hand moving up behind my head, gently combing his fingers through my hair.

"Are you okay?" I finally managed, peeking up at him. He sighed, his lips curling into a gentle smile.
"I'll be fine, Jess." I nodded, hiding my face in his neck as I felt tears come to my eyes.
"Y-you're probably freezing." I laughed, staring back up at him. He shrugged, giggling to himself.
"Well, I don't feel great." He smirked.
"Here.." I sighed, starting to unbutton his shirt. "Take this back, I'm-" He reached out, stopping my hands.
"Absolutely not." He laughed. "Please keep that on." I smirked back up at him, feeling my cheeks burn.

"Did.. you hear any of that?" I finally asked, my heart beating faster. He bit down on his lip, nodding.
"Unfortunately." He sighed, gently tucking my hair behind my ear, staring back at me with dazed eyes. "But.. I liked what you had to say." A smile escaped my lips as I wrapped my arms back around his neck, pulling him in closer.

"Jake, I.. I said yes to you. I only have eyes for you, and I never want you to worry about him or.. anyone else, ever again. There's no one else I want-" My heart jumped as he cut me off, pulling me into a passionate kiss, holding my face in his hands.
"Thank you." He said softly, leaning his forehead against mine.
"Is it.. too late to still go to the hotel?" I asked, gently running my hands up his chest. He shook his head, his smile growing.
"Well, we sure as hell aren't staying here tonight." He laughed. "Not after that." I couldn't help but smile, my heart beating faster as I pulled him into another long kiss.