Chapter 17: Almost Perfect

"So.. it was you all along?" I asked. Jake stared back at me confused. 
"What do you mean?"
"I mean.. it was you who wanted me here." He bit his lip, and smirked back at me.

"I.. well, I saw what you've shot. They were great, and I wanted photos like that of us." He said sweetly. I couldn't help but smile.
"That's the only reason why?" I questioned. His cheeks got redder and he nodded.
"Mhm.." he said, holding in a bigger smile. 

"Well.. thank you. No matter the reason." I said, reaching up and running my fingers through his hair again.
"You're welcome." he sighed.
"You.. you tried to tell me before but.."
"But Josh-"
"Yeah, Josh told me.. he was the reason.." Jake nodded, looking down.

"When I brought you up to management, he saw, and.. he.. he said you were pretty. And.. he called dibs." I stared back at him wide eyed.
"Dibs??" I asked. His face dropped a little.
"He.. he didn't mean it like that, it's just.." he sighed, gently reaching for my hand. "We're twins. We share everything. I'm.. I always come second to Josh. But I-"
"You.. you didn't really respect the dibs." I laughed. He smirked back at me.

"I wasn't gonna share you." he sighed. "If you were even into me. But I guess I convinced you." he giggled to himself. I leaned in, kissing him again. He gently held my face in his hand, kissing me back.

"Well, I'm all yours." I agreed. "And besides.. he seems just fine with it anyway." I looked back over towards the door, but Jake gently turned my chin back to face him. I felt my cheeks burn.

"I'm not gonna lie.." he sighed "he did.. well, he does like you. I can't pretend I don't know that. He wouldn't be acting like this if you being with me didn't bother him. So.. I don't want to rub it in his face. He's my brother and I don't want to hurt his feelings but.. I'm allowed to be happy too." 

I nodded, gently kissing him again.
"So then behind closed doors, I'm all yours." I giggled. His smile grew. 
"I hope I never get used to that." he sighed "but.. we don't have to walk on eggshells around him.. or anyone else.. but I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I know you said that.. some of the fans tonight.. you.. you didn't like that they.. knew about us." 

I shook my head, gently placing my finger over his lips. He smirked, but got quiet.
"It's okay." I said. "I.. I understand what I'm agreeing to. If it comes with being with you.. I.. I'll get used to it."
"They don't have to know anything we don't want them to know." He said simply. I nodded.
"Thank you."
"So when can I tell everyone?" he asked, flashing me a toothy smile. I laughed, shoving him over.
"Let's just.. enjoy it for a minute before we alert the press." I said "And.. maybe don't let your mom find out through the internet." He bit his lip, his eyes getting wide. I stared back, questioning.

"What is it?" I asked.
"Well, my mom.. already knows about you." He said quietly, staring up at me with a childlike smile. My cheeks burned.
"What do you mean she already knows about me?" I laughed. He shrugged. 
"I don't know, we talk.. we're all close with our mom.. she.. she asked about you, and.. I told her." I sighed, shaking my head.
"Okay well.. when do I get to meet her?" I asked. His smile grew. 
"Our hometown show is coming up. You can meet everyone, if you want." I nodded.

"Great." He said, kissing me on the cheek, and reaching back behind the bed for our glasses again, filling them back up with champagne.
"What are we celebrating now?" I asked, taking a sip. He smirked.
"We're celebrating the fact that we started dating 2 seconds ago and I haven't scared you off with wanting you to meet my family." He said, taking a bigger sip, drinking half his glass.
"You're funny." I sighed, staring back at him. He stared back giving me a smirk.
"Well, can you let everyone else know?" he mumbled. I nodded, taking another sip.
"You underestimate how people see you." I said quietly. He peeked back at me.

 "What do you mean?" he asked. I shrugged, sipping again.
"I take it you're not online much." I said, looking away. He shook his head, holding his stare on me.
"Well.. they talk about you plenty." I mumbled. He smirked.
"You don't like that, do you?" I shrugged.
"It's another thing I understand comes with the territory." I said quietly. He reached over to take my hand.

"I don't care what people on the internet think about me." he said sweetly, pulling me closer. "I.. I only care what you think about me." I sighed, rolling my eyes then staring back at him.
"You always know just what to say, don't you?" He giggled, playing with my hair again.
"Well, I mean it." I nodded, looking away.

"So how long do you usually let the girls stay on the bus?" I asked. Jake bit down on his lip, his face dropping a bit.
"Well.. I typically stayed back here when Josh invited girls on. I really wasn't around when he did this." His cheeks burning.
"Really?" I asked.
"Sorry to be lame but.." he shrugged "I just.. don't care about that stuff. Even when I was single." He giggled. He filled my glass back up, taking another big sip out of his.

"Are you trying to get me drunk?" I asked. "I already agreed to be your girlfriend. You don't have to convince me anymore." He laughed, his cheeks turning red.
"I just want you to have fun." He sighed, gently kissing me. "And.. to forget about everything going on out there."

"I'm not worried about him." I assured him, reaching my hands up and tangling them in his hair. I pulled him in closer and kissed him again. I felt him smile. Everything felt perfect.

Except for the fact that I couldn't stop thinking about what was going on out there.