Chapter 77: Setting You Free

I sat in the front seat with Sam as we drove to wherever they decided we were going tonight. The van was silent the entire time; feeling very far from a celebration. I peeked back in the rearview mirror to see Jake in the back, eyes glued out the window.

"Alright, you party animals." Sam said sarcastically as he parked the van. "We're here. Don't have too much fun." I looked out the window to see he had brought us to a bar. Of course.

Josh, Danny, and Jake all hopped out of the backseat, making their way inside. Sam lit a cigarette before going inside. I hung back with him.

"You can hang with me tonight, if you want." He said, taking a drag. "I already know they're probably gonna get.. annoyingly wasted. And that's coming from me." He laughed, smiling over at me. My cheeks burned as I looked inside. Jake was already at the bar, drink in hand.

"Thanks, Sam." I said, smiling back at him. He nodded.
"I've been stuck between their fighting my entire life. I know how it feels." He said. "Well, kinda. I guess this is a little different." He giggled to himself. I smirked.
"Yeah.." I sighed, looking back inside.
"It'll be okay. Just let him get it out of his system.. and then you two will be fine."
"I.. I don't know." I said softly. "It felt.. different this time. He's already been so patient with me. And I didn't even deserve it then. But after everything.. with the pregnancy scare and being in the hospital and then the ring, I just.. I thought.. we were finally.. done. But then of course this had to come back and ruin everything."
"And I think he knows that. Just.. give him some space tonight. It'll be okay."

I really hoped he was right.

"Alright, let's head in." He said. "It's freezing out here." He reached over, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as he lead us inside.

As we walked in, I saw Josh quickly turn to face us. He flashed me a subtle smile, two drinks in hand.
"Here.." He said, handing one to me. I looked down at it, then back to him.
"So you're talking to me now?" I asked. He shrugged.
"I guess I am." He sighed, his smile growing. I felt my cheeks burn as I took the drink, taking a sip.
"Thanks." I said, peeking over at Jake, who was leaning against the bar, his back purposely faced toward us.
"I wouldn't talk to him right now." Josh said. "He's not doing great." I bit down on my lip, looking away, feeling my heart race.

He was the only one I wanted to talk to right now.

Sam leaned down, whispering into my ear.
"You okay here? Danny and I are gonna go grab a table, if you want.." He said. I peeked over at Josh.
"I'm okay, thanks." I said. He nodded, heading towards the booths in the back of the bar.

"You wanna sit?" Josh asked, motioning towards the tables. I bit down on my lip, peeking over at Jake who still paid us no mind. I nodded, and he lead us to a table on the opposite side of the bar. I made sure to sit on the side where I could still see Jake. It looked like he had already started making friends with everyone around him. I turned to Josh, who was already looking back at me, his eyes dazed, leaning back in his chair.

"We did look good together." He said softly, taking a sip. My cheeks burned.
"Don't do this." I said, looking back over at Jake.
"Don't do what?" He asked.
"You know what.." I said, looking down. He sighed.
"Well, you saw us. There's no denying-"
"There is denying, Josh." I snapped. "I love Jake, and now.. I never should have done the video. I wanted to help you guys but.. it's ruined everything." He bit down on his lip, holding his stare on me. I felt my heart race the longer he stared.

"I'm sorry you feel that way." He said softly. "But you and I both know that wasn't acting."
"Yes it was." I lied, looking away.
"Well, I don't believe you." He said plainly.
"It doesn't matter. Because the video is out now, everyone's already seen, and because of you, everyone thinks we're together, and now Jake wants nothing to do with me."