Chapter 6: Jake's P.O.V

Jake's P.O.V

She thought my sweater belonged to Josh. 

I should've figured after the night they had, they were all over each other from the start. This is how it typically went when girls got around the band. They always flocked to Josh.

Once we got to the venue, Josh and Jess walked off together towards the stage. I hung back with Sam.

"So, what's going on with them?" he asked. We made our way backstage where the interview was being held.
"I wish I knew." I said blankly, avoiding eye contact. Sam understood.
"You like her." He said. I kept my head down as we walked. 
"I hardly know her." 
"That doesn't mean you don't like her." 
"Alright, shut up."
"Okay.." He sighed. "I'll drop it."

"...I just don't get it." I finally said. Sam laughed. "She told me she didn't want to be with anyone. Why would she still go after him?" Sam shrugged.
"Maybe she just didn't want to hurt your feelings... or maybe.." He trailed off. 
"What?" I asked.
"Maybe.. this isn't her at all. You know how Josh can be."
"Yeah, but he's never been like this before." Sam nodded. 
"He can have whoever he wants every night, I don't get why he always needs to be like this with the girls on the tour. And when things eventually go bad, that's it.. she'll be gone."
"And that would be bad because..." Sam trailed off, I could hear the smile in his voice. 
"Shut up." He laughed.

"I gave her my sweater last night." I finally said. We sat down in our chairs and waited for the interview to start. Sam sat down next to me.
"I noticed that." He said, smirking at me. "How did that happen?" My cheeks burned.
"She asked me to help her with the AC, so I did. But it gets cold, so.." 
"And you didn't think she had her own sweater if she got cold?" I smiled.
"I was just.. I was being nice." 
"Mhm.. and why do you think she asked you, Jake?Sam asked, smirking back at me.
"I don't know. Josh was sleeping. I was the only one awake." Sam nodded, putting on his sunglasses. 
"Or maybe.. she just wanted some time alone.. with you."
"After the night they had, I'm surprised she wanted anything to do with me, Sam." He laughed.

"You know, for a smart guy, you really are oblivious."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I mean.. she couldn't take her eyes off you all night." He said plainly. I could feel my cheeks getting even redder. I put on my sunglasses, hoping to hide even a little bit of it. 

I spun around at the sound of footsteps coming from behind us. It was Josh and Jess. I sighed, turning back around, but noticed.. they weren't holding hands. I peeked back again. Sam elbowed me in the side.

"Shut up.." I mumbled. He laughed, turning back around. Danny finally made his way over and sat down next to me.

"Was no one gonna tell me?" He laughed.
"You're the mom of the group, we figured you'd be the first one here." Sam said, playfully shoving him. 

I looked over at Jess who was now going through her bag, and changing the lens on one of her cameras. She picked up her head to shoot, and I heard a click. Of course. She saw me. My cheeks were burning again. I'm sure I could play it off as too much sun, we were outside. She lowered her camera, looking back at what she'd just taken, and then smiled at me. My face burned even more, and I quickly turned away.

Soon enough, two guys started walking over to us, camera and clipboard in hand.
"How many twin questions do you think you're gonna get?" Sam whispered to me. 
"Too many." I laughed.

"Hey guys!" One of them said, reaching out to shake our hands. "I'm Jeremy, thanks for talking to us today."
"No problem!" said Danny.
"Of course!" Josh chimed in. I could see Jess snapping photos out of the corner of my eye, favoring Josh's side. I tried to ignore it. Jeremy handed a microphone to Sam and to Josh and sat back down in front of us. 

"Alright!" he said "Let's get right to it. So this is one of the biggest tours you guys have ever been on, how does it feel compared to the smaller venues you've been used to?"
"It's wild" Josh started "You miss the intimacy of the smaller shows, but nothing compares to the energy you get from this many people singing your words back to you. It's unreal."
"Now, who writes the songs?" Jeremy asked. 
"Well, we all-"
"I write a lot of the lyrics.." Josh said, quick to cut Sam off. "But it's a group effort. It's great when you're all on the same page musically, it makes writing and performing effortless." 

Sam handed me the microphone.

"And what about you two?" Jeremy asked, now looking at me. "I'm sure it's even easier having your twin on stage with you, so completely in sync."
"Well, we're not always-" I started.
"It's great." Josh cut in. "I always know Jake has my back, and he knows I always have his. It's amazing to have your brothers on stage with you." 

"I'm sure it gets interesting on tour when it comes to the girls, as I'm sure you know, it comes with the territory." Jeremy continued. I peeked over at Jess who was snapping away, getting shots of Sam this time. I saw her smiling every time she looked at what she'd gotten. I held mine in. 

"It's fine." Josh laughed. "We all have very different tastes when it comes to dating, so there's never any conflict. And besides, we're brothers, aside from Danny, we'd never let anything come between us." I could feel my cheeks start to burn. 
"And it's hard dating on the road anyway, we try to avoid it. It's not really fair, we can't give our full time and be there for our person. And we're not the "groupie" type." Jeremy laughed and turned to his cameraman.
"Sorry ladies, no backstage action with these guys."

"It's about respect." I chimed in. I saw Jess peek over her camera.
"We were raised to respect women, our mom raised us right, and we don't take the position we're in lightly. We very much believe in finding our person and being there for them. We're romantics, so. We don't exactly do casual.
"You can hear it in our songs." Josh chimed in. "You don't get inspired like that through something casual. and Aren't we all trying to find the real thing?"

"Right you are." Jeremy said, looking down at his clipboard. "Now what's this we hear about the possibility of a Grammy this year? Could you tell us a little more about that?" Josh nodded.
"Yeah, it's insane. We were nominated for new artist, rock performance, and rock album, which is wild. You grow up listening to the bands that get nominated, and you idolize them, but you never actually think that one day you could be one of them. And to see your name up there, it's truly humbling. Fingers crossed, but we're just honored to be nominated."
"Well, just know I'll be rooting for you guys, and looking forward to a great show tonight. Thanks for talking with us." Jeremy finished up. Josh nodded, and we handed back the microphones. 

Not too bad for press for the day.

"You ever think to let one of us talk?" Sam laughed. Josh smiled.
"I'm the singer, they want to hear from me." He said, playfully shoving Sam. Looking over I saw Jess snapping more photos of us, looking up as we got closer.

"I didn't know you guys were nominated for a Grammy, oh, excuse me.. three Grammys." She smiled at me. I pushed my sunglasses to the top of my head, and felt my cheeks burn again. 
"Yeah, it's insane. We don't expect to win, but how cool is it to be able to say?" 
"I don't see why you can't win. I hear you guys are awesome." She joked.

"Well, you'll just have to see for yourself tonight."