Chapter 166: Infatuation

"So, how long until I get to tell everyone?" Jake laughed, taking a sip of his drink. I smirked back at him, shaking my head.
"Why do we have to tell everyone?" I asked, feeling my cheeks burn. He rolled his eyes, his smile growing.
"Because I want to." He said simply. I held my stare on him, holding in my smile.

How was it that I found the one guy who cared so much about making sure everyone knew he was in a relationship?

"Everyone who matters already knows." I said softly. "Who else do you want to tell?" He shrugged, taking another bite of his sandwhich.
"Well, I know your family doesn't know." He said, peeking back up at me. My stomach dropped.
"I meant what I said." I mumbled.

"You should at least tell your dad, Jess." I shook my head.
"It's his fault this almost didn't happen." I said, avoiding his eyes. I heard him sigh, getting up and making his way over to my side of the table.
"I can kinda understand why he said what he said. He was only looking out for you. And.. I still don't know the full extent of it but.. I like to think he wouldn't have said those things if he didn't really think he was protecting you." I shook my head, keeping my eyes down. He gently tilted my chin up to face him, giving me a subtle smile.
"But it did happen, so.. I don't see any reason for you to hold a grudge. I want you to have some relationship with your family. As much as I love you being part of mine.. you deserve to have what's yours too."

"I told you I didn't want any of that being brought into our new life together." He nodded.
"I know, but you were also very upset when you said that so.. I assumed you might've changed your mind by now.. maybe.. even a little bit?" He asked, giving me a sweet smile. I contained my smile, shaking my head, looking away.
"Well.. I won't make you." He sighed. "But.. I still want to tell everyone." My cheeks burned as my smile grew.
"And who else is everyone?" I asked, reaching over for his hand. He grabbed my other hand, lifting it up, and placing it on his shoulder.

How could I possibly stay mad about anything when he acted like this? I don't know what changed with him, I just knew that I loved it.

"Everyone." He laughed. "Everyone else I know gets to announce whenever they do anything, why can't I?"
"Because, you're not just anyone, Jake." I laughed. "This affects me too." He nodded, holding his stare on me, his eyes in a daze as they traced my face, moving down to my lips.
"I know, and you should be just as excited to show me off too." He laughed.
"You know that's not the problem." I said quietly. He nodded.
"You're scared of what everyone will say." I nodded.
"Okay." He sighed. "We'll give it some time for you to get used to."

I leaned in, gently kissing him on the lips.
"Thank you."

Sam's P.O.V

When we got to the venue, I made sure I was the first one off the bus. There was already a line of fans waiting outside, so I decided to take my time with them all, knowing Jake would most likely try to sneak inside through the back with Jess.

I understood that she didn't want all of this attention, she didn't sign up for this, but he understood how important it was to meet everyone, and he was letting her keep him away from them, despite knowing she encouraged him to go out every single night. She never tried to keep any of us from them.

I hated how hard it was to be mad at her.

After reaching the end of the line, I finally made my way inside, quickly heading backstage. I could already hear the two of them laughing amongst themselves in the closest dressing room. I quickly walked past, keeping my eyes forward, going into the room across the hall. As impossible as it was, I just didn't want to think about them tonight; I didn't want to think about her tonight.

And the worst part is no matter what happened, I know I'd always love her. No matter what she did or what she needed, I would always be there for her and it wasn't fair. I wish I could just turn it off as easily as she could.

"There you are.." Josh said, peeking his head in. I looked up, forcing a smile.
"Yep." I said simply. He hesitated before coming in, plopping down on the couch.
"So.. what happened?" He asked. My cheeks burned as I started digging through my bag.
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Yes you do." He sighed.
"Yeah, I do, but I don't want to talk about it." I snapped. He was quiet for a bit.

"It's just that.. you're the one who told me to get used to the idea of her being our sister-in-law, why are you so angry now? You're the one who pushed them to be together."
"Because she loves him and I want her to be happy.."
"So then why are you-"
"Because I love her and I want to be happy too. But.. I can't have both. Just because I know what's right.. doesn't mean I'm happy about it. And.. I think she's making a mistake."
"You didn't tell her that, did you?" I bit down on my lip, avoiding his eyes.

"You know your opinion means a lot to her, Sam." He said softly. I shrugged.
"And.. I know how you feel, but-"
"You don't know how I feel." I snapped.
"Yes I do." My stomach dropped. I picked my head up, now glaring over at him. He held his stare on me.

"What happened when you went over there the other night?" I asked. His eyes went wide, his cheeks burning red.
"N-nothing.. why?" He stuttered, going into his bag.
"Because ever since that night you've been.. acting different."
"I have not." He defended, taking his bag and going into the bathroom.
"I just think if you're gonna tell me to back off.. you should follow your own advice. She's gonna be your sister too." He peeked his head out from the bathroom, now glaring at me.
"I am backing off." He sneered, slamming the door behind him.

I quickly finished getting ready and made my way backstage, lifting my bass over my head, proceeding to tune it while the Envy finished their set.

"Excuse me.." I heard, ignoring it until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, to see a girl smiling up at me, camera around her neck.
"Hey.." She said again, her smile growing. "You're.. you're Sam, right?" I nodded.
"Yeah, and.. um.. sorry, who are you?"

"I'm Sadie." She said cheerfully, holding her hand out. I hesitated for a moment before shaking her hand, giving her a gentle smile.
"Nice to meet you." I said softly, still confused. She noticed, giggling to herself.

"Oh.. yeah.." She said, holding up her camera. "I'm The Envy's new photographer. They saw how amazing your photos were so.. they decided to hire someone of their own. I don't think I could ever compete though. Jess is amazing. I've been following her for a while, she's actually the one that inspired me to get into this."
My heart sunk. Someone else just as infatuated with her. I couldn't say I blamed her, but I just wish I could escape it.

"Oh, well.. n-nice to meet you." I said, feeling my cheeks burn. She nodded.
"But.. I'll get out of your way. It's my first show and I just wanted to introduce myself. Do.. do the bands typically hang out together after?" She asked. I shrugged, smirking back at her.
"Ah, well.. we used to." I laughed, not wanting to get into it right now. She nodded.

"Okay, well.. maybe I'll see you around then." She said, flashing me another smile. I nodded.
"Yeah.. maybe you will."