Chapter 40: Take What You Want

"What?" I heard Jake yell from behind me. I quickly made my way into the back room, conveniently avoiding eye contact with Amy, who was sitting on the couch, quietly swiping through her phone. I could instantly feel her glare on me until I was out of sight.

It wasn't long before Jake quickly followed me into the room, shutting the door behind us, loudly locking it, no doubt making it known to Amy.

"What do you mean when he hears you're back in town?" Jake asked, leaning against the door. He stared down at me, his eyes concerned. I sighed as I plopped down onto the bed, staring back with a subtle smile. He scrunched up his face.

"He always said.. that when I found my way back to Brooklyn he'd try and win me back. It's no big deal." I said, rolling my eyes. His eyes got wide as he stared back, confused.
"No big deal? He.. he proposed to you, Jess."
"And I said no, Jake. Doesn't that mean anything?" He bit down on his lip and gently nodded.
"Yeah, I guess." He sighed.

"It doesn't matter what he does, or what he says.. I'm with you."
"Promise?" He asked with a smirk. My smile grew.
"I promise. Now can you come here?" I asked, reaching out my hand. His smile grew as he moved forward, crawling onto the bed. I grabbed onto his shirt, pulling him closer into a kiss. I felt him sigh as he kissed me back, pushing me further onto the bed. I tangled my fingers into his hair, pulling him closer but he backed away, staring down at me.

"Now.. how would he know you were back in town?" He asked. I sighed.
"Are you gonna stay hung up on this?" I asked, sitting back up. He rolled over, propping his head up onto his hand.
"I just-"
"You're jealous." I smirked.
"I'm not jealous, I'm just.. curious."
"Well there's nothing to be curious about, Jake." He bit down on his lip, holding his stare.

He wanted an answer.

"Our families are close." I finally said. "So when it's your turn to meet my family.. he's bound to hear about it." I saw a small smile spread across his lips.
"Yeah." I laughed. "Now it's your turn to meet everyone." He nodded, looking down.
"Yeah, I can understand why you were nervous now."
"Don't worry, they'll love you." I mocked. His cheeks burned as he flashed me a smile.

"D-do you think they will though?" He asked quietly. I could sense the concern in his voice. I leaned over, gently kissing him again. I felt him smile.
"Of course they will."
"Have you told them about me?" He asked, his face getting redder.
"Yes." I lied.

I never really talked about my personal life with my family. If they hadn't already known Travis, they probably wouldn't have known about us either. It was nothing personal, they were just the last people who's opinions I valued when it came to relationships.

It was best to just leave them out of it.

"What did you say?" He asked eagerly, his eyes getting wider.
"Don't worry about it." I smirked. He rolled his eyes, lying back down.

"Is someone nervous?" I asked playfully. His cheeks burned as he sat up, staring back at me. "You never get nervous."
"Only around you." He said simply. I couldn't help but smile.

"Even still?" I asked. He nodded.
"Even still."

I leaned over kissing him again.
"You're sweet." I sighed.
"I'm glad you think so." He giggled to himself.

Josh's P.O.V.

I took my time walking back to the bus. I was in no rush now. I knew Jess would be back there with Jake, doing God knows what. I tried my best not to think about it, but that's all I could think about most of the time. It wasn't fair how easily she could be one way with me, and then run back to Jake like nothing had happened.

I've poured my heart out to her how many times, and every time, it's never enough.

When I finally got back, I saw Amy sitting alone on the couch, swiping through her phone. She picked her head up to look at me.
"And where have you been?" She asked plainly. "Your little girlfriend has been here for a while. What happened? Didn't you two leave together?" I shrugged, plopping down next to her.

"I don't think this is gonna work." I said softly, leaning back, staring up at the ceiling. She stared back at me, angry.
"What do you mean?" She asked, her voice stern. I knew this effected her too. Barely, but she still had hope when it came to Jake. I knew she always would. Part of me was starting to feel bad about leading her on in that way. I knew no matter what happened with me and Jess, nothing was happening between her and Jake, and it was selfish to string her along like that for my own personal gain.

"She's never gonna leave Jake." I sighed, avoiding eye contact.
"What makes you say that?" She asked, putting her phone down. I shrugged.
"It just.. it doesn't matter what I do.."
"Well, then you're not trying hard enough."
"It's not that simple, Amy."
"It is though, Josh."

"Then what do you think I should do?" I snapped. She stared back at me, angry, unfazed.
"Well, did you ask her about the music video?" I nodded.
"She said she'd think about it."
"Well, when she agrees, cause she will, cause it's you, then just show her what she's missing." I felt my heart start to beat faster.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She rolled her eyes.
"I mean.." She started. "If she knows what she's getting into, maybe it'll make it that much easier to.. change her mind. It's a love song, right? You told me the idea of the video. Well, show her."

I bit down on my lip, nodding.

"Have you kissed her yet?" She asked. My stomach dropped. I could tell my blushing was obvious the way she smirked back at me.
"I'll take that as a no." She giggled to herself. "Well, why not?"
"Because.. she's with Jake. I'm not gonna do that." I said quietly, looking back down. She rolled her eyes.

"Never stopped him." She mumbled.
"W-what do you mean?" She hesitated.

"I mean, Jake has never had a problem with that. He says she's different but.. once a cheater, always a cheater."
"Jake.. cheated on you? He never told-"
"Of course he never told you. Why would he tell anyone? As far as everyone's concerned, he's perfect and I'm just the psycho ex-girlfriend."
"I'm sorry, Amy." She shrugged.

"It doesn't matter now."
"Well, even still, I don't want to make her uncomfortable. I wanted our first kiss to be-"
"Yeah, yeah, perfect. Whatever. Well, it doesn't look like you're gonna get that opportunity, so you should just take what you can get." I sighed, looking away.

"Well, I don't want it to happen then if that's the only way. I want her to want to."
"Alright." She sighed, getting up. "But don't be shocked when you lose her to someone who's not afraid to take what he wants."