Chapter 24: Family Affair

A few hours later I woke back up and felt the bus had finally stopped moving. We were here. Looking over, I saw that Jake was already awake. I always hated when I was the last one up. I wish he had woken me up.

I pushed myself out of bed, looking around for what clean clothes I still had. If I was going to be meeting their family today, I at least wanted to look presentable. I was really hating myself for only thinking of packing jeans and t-shirts. But how was I supposed to know I was going to be meeting my boyfriend's family for the first time?

How was I supposed to know I was going to have a boyfriend?

There was a knock at the door.
"Come in." I said, quickly pulling my shirt over my head.
"Well, good morning." Jake said with a smile. He carried in a cup of coffee, handing it over to me. I smiled, taking it.
"Thank you." He shrugged, sitting down on the corner of the bed.

"So, are you excited?" He asked, smiling up at me. I sighed. I could tell he was. I didn't want to ruin it. I nodded.
"Sure." I said, laughing to myself. His smile grew.
"It's okaaaaay." He reached out for my hand, pulling me closer to him. "What are you so worried about?" I shrugged, sitting down next to him.

"I just.. I really want them to like me." I said quietly. He leaned in, kissing my forehead.
"They will." He flashed me a smile. It was contagious.
"So, when do we get to see them?" I asked. He got up, moving towards the door.
"As soon as you're ready."
"What do you mean? Like.. they're waiting for us?" I asked, feeling my cheeks burn.
"It's fine. The guys are already inside. I was waiting for you to wake up." I felt my stomach drop.
"You were waiting?" I snapped. He laughed again, taking my hand.
"Jess, it's fine. I promise. Now come on.." He pulled me out of the bedroom, and down the steps of the bus. I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

When we got outside, I saw we were parked in a long driveway, in the middle of the woods. It really did feel like we were in the middle of nowhere.
"Where are we?" I laughed. He smirked back at me,
"I know, I know.. but.. compared to life on the road. It's incredible."

I followed close as he lead me up the steps to the front door. When he opened it, we were greeted with a roar of cheers.
"There he is!"
"Glad someone's finally awake!" I felt my cheeks burn. Jake leaned down to me, whispering into my ear.
"Don't worry, Sam told them I was sleeping in." I sighed, giving him a small smile. He winked, squeezing my hand a little tighter.
"Thank you." I mouthed.

"So, is this the girl I've been hearing so much about?" I heard a woman's voice from inside the kitchen. Jake lead me in where I was faced with his entire family. My eyes panned around the room.

"Mom, this is Jess. Jess, this is Mom." Jake said. He moved in giving her a big hug.
"So nice to meet you!" She said, leaning in and giving me a hug as well. I was starting to feel a little better; I wasn't sure what I was so worried about.
"Nice to meet you, too." I said, eventually backing away. "I've heard so much about everyone." Her smile grew as she looked back at Jake.
"Oh, so he warned you about me?" She laughed, gently brushing the hair out of his face. He rolled his eyes, his cheeks turning a bright shade of pink.
"Yeah." He laughed. "I warned her about all of you."
"Oh, Jake. We're just fine. If she can handle you guys, then we're nothing." She said, looking back at me with a smile. "Are you hungry? I made a late breakfast for everyone." I was starving.

"Thank you." I said, looking around.
"Here.." Jake said, leading me into the dining room where Josh and Sam were already sitting at the table eating. Josh looked up at me, giving me a subtle smile. My cheeks burned. The memory of him playing his song rushed through my mind. It had felt like a dream that became real once we were face to face again. I wondered if he had mentioned it to anyone. Then Sam peeked up, giving me a subtle smile.