Chapter 182: Fun

Sophie crawled into my lap, reaching her arms up again.
"You really like being held, huh?" I giggled, picking her up, holding her close as we made our way into the kitchen. Hanging back in the doorway, I silently watched as Jake continued to stir one of the pots on the stove, occasionally peeking into the oven.

"This is a good look on you." I finally said, gently rocking Sophie back and forth. He looked back, his cheeks burning.
"All part of the plan." He winked.
"What plan?"
"I know after seeing all this, you won't be able to resist me later." My cheeks burned as I smirked back at him, shaking my head. 

"You know you don't have to do all of this for me to feel that way." I said softly, bringing Sophie back into the living room. She pointed to the photos on the wall as we walked around.
"Is that you?" I asked. She reached out for one of the photos of her and Addison.
"And that's your mommy." She nodded, flashing me another gummy smile. The longer we looked, the more empty spaces I noticed in all of the frames. It was clear that Addison wasted no time getting rid of the photos of Will, and I couldn't say I blamed her. But I couldn't imagine how hard this must be by yourself.

Making our way down the hallway, I couldn't help but get lost in just how gorgeous their house was. After growing up in my compact apartment, it was hard to understand how one person could need so much space. I had never really left the city before, so I never experienced homes like this, not in person, at least. 

When we finally made our way back into the kitchen, Jake smirked at me, shaking his head.
"Don't fall in love with it, I don't make enough for something like this." He laughed, crossing his arms, leaning back up against the counter. I peeked over at him, feeling my cheeks burn.
"Well, I could do something too, you know, to contribute..."
"We can't pay you enough to afford this either." He said, shaking his head, making his way over to us. He gently pushed the hair out of Sophie's face, running his fingers up and down my arm. I felt my heart start to beat faster as I peeked up at him. He leaned down, kissing my cheek, giving me a soft smile.

"Well, what if I got another job?" I asked, holding my stare on him. "After the tour?" He instantly shook his head, going back over to the stove.
"Why not?" I laughed, following him closely. Looking into one of the pots, I could see a medley of vegetables, bubbling in the boiling water.
"Because.." He said, stirring them again. "We make enough for us to be able to stay together. You don't need to do anything else just for us to change what we have now. I don't need much.. do you?" He asked, peeking over at me. I sighed, shaking my head as a smile escaped my lips. He was right. I loved getting to be on the road with him, being able to wake up to him every morning. How many people were lucky enough to be able to do that? Especially with someone in this industry.

"I love our apartment." I finally said, pulling him into a kiss with my free hand. I felt his lips curl into a smile, kissing me back, gently holding my face in his hand. Soon enough, I felt another tiny hand on my other cheek, giggling to herself.
"And what are you doing?" Jake laughed, leaning down close to Sophie. She pulled away, shyly hiding her face in my neck. I smirked up at him as he pulled me in, kissing my forehead before turning back to the stove.

While we waited for Jake to finish cooking, I carried Sophie around the house again, gently bouncing her in my arms, humming that same song over and over, doing my best to avoid another outburst. When we got back into the living room, I could see Jake's phone lit up across the couch. Going over, I saw that Josh was calling, and had apparently been calling for a while.

"Hey.." I said, bringing it over to him. "Josh keeps calling." He shook his head, keeping his eyes on the stove.
"You can leave it on the counter, I'm sure it's nothing." He said nonchalantly, pouring the pot of vegetables into a strainer. 
"Are you sure? He.. he's called a few times already." Jake shook his head again.
"He knows where I am. I told him not to bother me. I'll call him after dinner."
"Alright.." I sighed, putting his phone down.