Chapter 44 - Grandma Shopping

"You're so creepy! Staring at us while we sleep!" Leorio hissed at him while protecting Pietro behind his back.

Hearing Leorio dissed him, Friday put on a helpless face and shook his head. "Right. The name's Friday, by the way. Come now, we have things to do." Standing and patting the dirt off his backside, Friday told them they were heading to the mall.

"The mall?" Pietro asked while going to Friday's side, annoying Leorio.

"To buy some necessities. Can't really carry everything by myself." Friday hinted at his broken arm, making the boy understand.

They walked for 15-minutes to the nearest taxi station. Leorio also followed alongside them reluctantly and spouted some irritated grumblings some time to time. Though, Friday could tell the boys were actually looking forward to going to the mall.

Hmm...They obviously don't go often.

When Friday and the boys got in the taxi, Friday decided to sit on the back. He sat in the middle and the boys on each side of him. As per habit, Friday put on his seat belt. He also told the boys to put on theirs, seeing that they were not in the habit of doing it.

Friday wryly smiled when he saw that the children didn't know how to put on a seatbelt, reminding him of himself when he was young. He happily helped them put them on.

"Sorry, we don't ride taxis a lot." Pietro quietly explained as he fidgetted on the seatbelt. He seemed uncomfortable due to the foreign feeling.

The taxi driver heard them and chimed in. "The seatbelt regulation is relaxed here. I don't see many people wearing a seatbelt unless people are sitting in the front. Where are we folks going?" The taxi driver squinted his eyes. When he saw the poor-looking clothes of the children, his first reaction was to chase them off his taxi. However, when he saw the man, the taxi driver stopped his action. The man had glowing white skin and a beautiful face. His clothes might look ragged, but he didn't exude the aura of the poor, but the aura of a rich prince. Sensing money, the taxi driver gave them his service.

Friday told the taxi driver to go to the nearest big mall. The ride was silent since the boys were busy staring at the flashing images outside the window.

When they arrived at the mall, Friday handed the taxi driver a thousand Jenny and told him to keep the change. In contrast to the taxi driver's happy expression, Pietro and Leorio's faces looked sour. Both children thought that the man didn't deserve that much money.

After they exited the taxi, they entered the mall that towered over them. The two children immediately attracted people's attention. It was not often to see children that looked like they didn't shower for days, barefooted, and thin inside a crystal-clean mall. They stuck out like a sore thumb that the guards even approached them. It was only after Friday mentioned that the children were with him that the guards finally left them alone.

Sighing, Friday rubbed his forehead.

Even in this world, there are prejudices.

He remembered the time in his old world when he finally earned enough money to buy a burger from McD•nalds to give to his friend. He walked all the way to the mall excitedly since he didn't have enough money for transport. Just like what Pietro and Leorio experienced, people stared at him oddly as he entered the building. He felt like a circus animal being scrutinized by everyone. Then after successfully buying a small burger, he saw a little girl waiting in line with her mother, staring at him. The girl's eyes were torn between pity and disgust, making him shudder in bitterness to the bone. He remembered biting his lip all the way back to keep himself from crying.