Chapter 48 - Apprentices

After entering a taxi cab, Friday looked back at the hospital with a glint in his eyes, covering his mouth to hide a soft chuckle.

"What's so funny?"

He heard Leorio ask right beside him. Shrugging, Friday answered vaguely, "I really like it when it's hard on the outside but soft on the inside. It's more delicious that way."

Leorio furrowed his eyebrows, "...You're being weird again."

Deciding to teach the brat a lesson to have some manners, he flicked Leorio's forehead, "First of all, my name's Friday, in case you've forgotten." Thinking about it, Leorio had never called his name once. "And since when did I've ever acted weird?"

Leorio rubbed his forehead in surprise, "You...I mean, Friday, you've been acting weird since the very beginning. Everything about you is weird." The kid mumbled while turning away to face the car window.

"Give me an example." Friday wanted to applaud these children. They are very wary of strangers, a crucial trait for being a street rat.

"An example?" Leorio faced Friday again, "Like, we don't even know what you do for a living and where you got that much money. My bro wouldn't ask you this. Heck, since I've met him, he'd never asked anything about my past unless I brought it up. So, it's my job to ask the questions!" Leorio thumped his chest.

"Oh, I see. To answer..." Friday smiled helplessly before spouting a half-lie, "The money is just allowance that my brother gave me since he didn't want me to starve to death after running away from home." He pointed out the window, "Living in the slums in this tiny island is the last place they'll ever think of."

The more Leorio thought about it, the more Friday's explanation all made sense! The guy in front of him is actually a young master all along! That's why the guy keeps spending money like water!

"Does answering that question make me less weird now?"

"I guess...But, I have one more thing to ask, why-..." did you run away from home?

Before Leorio could ask, Friday cut his off, saying they'd reached their destination. Also, by mentioning he'll treat Leorio to churros, the question simply got pushed to the back of his head.

---

After buying Leorio churros, Friday finally bought the number #1 priority on his shopping list: a computer. A hacker without his computer is like a gun without a bullet. Threatening, but harmless. Since the device was heavy, Friday ordered it to be delivered to María's house. After buying some other necessities, Friday decided to return to the old lady's place.

Acquainted with each other, Leorio greeted the old lady with a polite smile. According to Leorio, María would sometimes give them food despite María's financial situation.

As promised, Friday paid María six months of rent, startling the old lady.

Even though he already achieved getting close to Pietro and Leorio - his initial reason for living in the slums - he decided he might as well keep up the facade of being a run-away young master. He also needed a temporary base anyways for his future plans.

He chatted with María for some time. After hearing the news about Pietro, the old lady told Friday that she would come during lunch and dinner to bring them home-cooked meals.

"It's the least that I could do," María said.

Friday smiled and thanked the old lady.

The next day, Pietro's surgery went without a hitch. Usually, before surgery, a patient would be nervous. Much more if that patient was a child, Friday thought. However, Pietro didn't show any sign of fear. His face was calm and relaxed. Though, from the child's puffy eyes, Friday couldn't help but chuckle. He patted Pietro's shoulder before the nurse pushed the child to the surgery room.