𝑬𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏.

Ophelia

"So," Ashely says when she puts the tray full of tapas food in front of us and takes her seat on the couch next to me. "We have food, we have wine and some background movie we're not gonna watch, everybody share your life update."

We do this kind of girl-nights every month at the end or the beginning of a month. Just update each other about things that happened that month and we forgot to tell or events that just ask for more elaborate conversation.

"I have something I haven't told Lia," Ashley starts. I sit up a little straighter because she addresses me directly. "Yes, I'm all ears." I take a sip of my wine and watch my friend's face turn into a blush. "Well, we made that bet, the Tinder one," I nod, recalling the bet and the mayhem it caused me. "I had a date with this girl and it was nice. Her name is Nicole and we just went for coffee the day before yesterday and talked. We walked along the boulevard and it was really nice."

I squeak and smile too. "That's so great, are you seeing her again soon?"

"We haven't planned anything, but she hasn't ghosted me so that's a great start." We all laugh at that. Ashely had the misfortune of getting ghosted by a lot of people, because most of her dates are not that serious. She ghosted a couple of people too, so it wasn't a big deal, but it became some sort of inside joke between the three of us.

"Now I need to find a boyfriend otherwise I'll be all alone when you two are off with your spouses." Ashley laughs, but I feel a knot form in my stomach and can only master a grimmas. "You okay Lia?" Sabine has obviously seen my change in mood. "Yeah, just zoned out for a second. Do you have any updates to share?" I smile back and ignore the uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

"No, nothing you don't already know. I had a talk with Dave the other day and he told me some basic info about running the café, but most of it we all already know. So that wasn't very eventful." She takes a bite of one of her empanada.

"Talking about the internship, I know someone who's wife's sister works at Ealing Times. I can ask him if he can arrange something for you?" She asks with her mouth full of food.

I turn my wineglass in my hands and try to find the words I need to tell them that I might do the internship time with the McLaren PR team. Lando hasn't asked about it after our call the other day. Which I appreciate because I still don't know if I want it, and being pressured into it will only make me want to turn against it. But I've been doing some research and it's actually a really great fit for me and for the start in my career. "While I appreciate the effort I might have found a place already," I say carefully. I brace myself for the enthusiastic reaction of my friends when I add, "at MTC."

Ashley is confused, not understanding what 'MTC' stands for, but Sabine lets out a yelp and screams at me. "OMG you haven't! That is just insane! Did Lando get you a position? What are you going to do there? Omg are you going to all the races? Take me with you, please!"

She almost drops her plate out of excitement and I laugh at her. "No I Haven't yet I said I might have found a place, yes it's insane, yes he came with the idea, I don't know yet, and I don't know yet, I don't think so, and I would if I could." I answer her questions in order.

"Wait hold up, MTC?" Ashely is still not following so I turn to her. "McLaren Technical Centre, it's," I can't continue, because of Sabine that takes over my explanations.

"It's heaven on earth. The most beautiful office you can imagine and it's the office for McLaren's F1 team and all other racing things they do. Legends have walked through those halls and It's amazing!" Sabine has put her plaid on the coffee tabel and is bouncing on her chair out of excitement. "Tell us everything!"

I laugh at her and shrug. "There isn't much to tell, I was facetiming with Lando and,"

"Omg, you guys facetimed and you didn't tell us?!" Sabine cuts me off again. "Are you guys getting close?" She wiggles her brow and I feel my cheeks burn, but try to hide it. "Can I maybe first finish and then answer you rapid fire?" I ask with an attitude. Sabine troughs her hands up in defends and then makes a turning motion with her hand before her mouth indicating she will be quiet. "Thank you." I nod sternly and explain what happened. "As I was saying, we were talking and I told him about the internship and he offered a tour and introduction at MTC. And I wasn't sure at first, but I've been reading and it looks like a perfect internship to start my career in journalism and media."

"Okay, great. When is your tour and introduction?" Ashley asks interested.

"Yeah that's the thing. I sort of haven't told Lando yet that I'm willing to take his offer," I smile innocently and Ashley laughs. "Then text him! Maybe you can go to Australia next week." She wiggles her brows and I laugh. "He asked me to go, you know?"

The two girls turn their head so quickly in my direction they could have gotten a broken neck. "Say what now?" Sabine asks. "You were going to be quite," I point at her and she makes a face at me. "You did your explanation, now I want to butt in. He asked you to come to the Australian Grand Prix?" I nod nonchalantly. "AND YOU SAID NO!?" I touch my ear with my finger when Sabine screams in it. "Auch, thanks. I said no, I can't just drop my life and fly across the world alone for this guy I barely know."

"Oh darling, please. Don't fool yourself. You like this guy a lot and you are just scared." Ashley says matter of fact. I have no response to that and ignore her comment, but they don't say anything and I let out a sigh. "I'm just... I don't know.. he is.. argh." I bury my head in Ashley's shoulder and she puts a protecting arm around me. "I know Lia, we know," she says, glancing at Sabine who also nods. "But you deserve to open up a little. It's been three years and you can't hide from love forever, neither should you want to."

"I know, but the first person I connect with after Dylan is a famous Formula one racer with thousands of fans and a very public life." I groan and take the last sip of wine that is left in my glass. "To be fair, you didn't know that at first," Sabine comments. "True, maybe if I had known I would have kept my distance."

"That is all speculation in what if history, we're not going there. Lia, I know it's scary and you don't have to commit to the guy but go out, have fun, flirt, watch where it takes you and just go at your own pace." Ashely's pep talk helps a little and the knot I felt this whole time smooths a little.

"I first need to text him about the tour," I say and take out my phone to text Lando and ask him if he can set something up.

"Then you are going to meet him for the first time," Sabine says smiling. "Oh that's going to be so romantic."

I laugh, "No it's going to be normal, and I don't even think he is in Woking."

I feel my phone buzzing with a notification and I look at the screen

Lando has send you a new message
That's great! I'll let u know as soon as I can

I smile at the text. Him going out of his way for me is a great feeling.

"Who's gonna eat that last empanada?" Sabine asks and we laugh when she takes it without waiting for an answer and with that finishes the plate.

--