𝑺𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒘𝒐.

Ophelia

"Aren't you a little bit excited to go back?" My gaze is focussed on my surroundings going by fast, as the car moves past them. Without turning my head to Lando I shrug. The air in the car feels heavy and we haven't spoken much this morning. Avoiding the topic I have been avoiding since the moment we met. "A little, it is still the place I grew up in." I sigh and turn my head. His eyes switch from the road to me, a pulled up brow asking me to explain my sighing.

"It just doesn't feel like home anymore, it hasn't for a long time."

He stays quiet for a second, biting his lip in anticipation. "I have wanted to ask you, but I always feel like you flip out when I talk about your parents." The expression on my face softens. "Go ahead, I'm sorry I've been cold towards you. When it comes to them I am just a different person." I take his hand from the steering wheel, placing it in my lap. "You have the right to ask before going into the lion's den."

He chuckles at my exaggeration, squeezing my hand to comfort me. "Little late, don't you think?" I shove my shoulder into his. "Better late than too late, now hit me." I sit up a little straighter in the passenger's seat to finally address the matter I've been avoiding up to this last minute.

Sabine and Ashley couldn't let the subject go last night. And I honestly agreed that I owe Lando an explanation. They convinced me that he needs to understand why I don't like going back to Reading. Even why I left in the first place. So when Lando picked me up last night I wanted to start the conversation. But we both were too tired and fell asleep immediately. Now is the last possible moment I can prepare him and he is right that it is a little late. I feel guilty and stupid for not sharing it earlier, but there is nothing I can change about it now.

"Okay, the only thing I really want an honest answer to is, did you hide them or me?" His face is unsure and I hate the look of uncertainty gleaming in his eyes. "Definitely them." My answer is so quick, it almost looks fake. "No, it's definitely them. Like I told you before." He squeezes my hand again and nods curtly. "Right, I just wanted to be sure."

I intertwine our fingers and kiss the back of his hand, putting it on my cheek afterwards. "You are amazing, and beautiful, and kind, and loving." I kiss his hand multiple times and he laughs at me. "Continue."

"And an arse with a great ego." His laugh gets louder and my body warms from the sound. I feel the heavy air lifting as we joke around. The laughter fades away and a content smile settles on my face. "In all honesty, I am ashamed of them." I admit while looking at the man beside me.

"I gathered that much by now," he answers, biting the inside of his cheek like he is going to add something. "The reason why I will find out soon enough, I guess?"

"I am not so sure, maybe they won't show their usual dissatisfaction and disappointment in me." Lando turns at me with a bewildered face. "Why would anyone be disappointed in you?"

I let my head hang and try to play with my nails. But I can't, because Lando forces the hand he holds away from the other. He is used to my nervous bad habit by now and tries to prevent it. "Babe?" He urges as I don't respond. "They just wanted me to choose a different life, that's all." I smile at him, keeping it as vague as I can, still not fully prepared to tell him what has transpired between me and my parents.

He leaves it, not wanting to push me and now kisses my hand. "I'll be fine." He turns the radio up and we continue the drive to my old home.

As I give Lando the direction to turn into the street where my parents live his eyes go wide. "I thought you were a poor student, working in a café to afford living in London?" I can't completely decide if he is angry or just amazed by the grandeur of the houses around him. "Don't be dramatic, you come from money. This shouldn't surprise you."