𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒚-𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓.

Lando

WARNING! NSFW BETWEEN THE ***

"Box! Box Now!" I hear the radio the second I drive into the turn after the pit entry. "That's a second too late, man." I shake my head in irritation. Almost 40 rounds I've kept the blue alpine of Fernando behind me, but this might cost me a fifth place finish. In my mirrors I see that Fernando goes into the pit and I curse myself in silence.

"Can we do it the next lap?" My voice sounds almost desperate, but I want to give it my all. The race had been far from normal. I still don't know for sure if Zhou and Alex are alright after their crash. I couldn't see much of what happened, but I saw debris and gravel flying everywhere. It's a miracle Zhou came out alright. I had a great restart, although I knew I couldn't keep Lewis behind me. A little battle of the Brits in their home race was worth it though.

The real fight has been with Fernando and it looks like he's gonna get out on top. Now with double yellow this is going to be a tough one. "Yeah Box this lap." I confirm the call and turn into the pit entry, but I know it's too late. We battle it out, but it's no use and I cross the chequered flag sixth.

A mixed feeling rests in my body as I see the Ferrari of Carlos in front of me crossing the line first. It should have been P5 for me, but I am so happy for my former team mate, he deserves his first win. I drive to Parc-fermé and get out. I look around and see Carlos celebrating with his team and loved ones. I'll congratulate him later.

When I get to the McLaren hospitality after interviews I see Ophelia, Sabine and Ashley talking with Maria and Max. "Great race Boss," Maria congratulates him when he comes to the group. "Thanks, should have been fifth though."

I catch the disapproving glance of my girl when I say those last words. After our talk the other night I admitted to her that I am too hard on myself. I give her an apologetic look back and she smiles. "Still, good points. I heard Zhou is okay, so that's good. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the race?" I ask as a distraction, mainly to Ashley and Sabine, because they've never been to a race before.

Sabine starts rambling about how amazing everything was, completed by Ashley now and then. While Max and Maria also join the recap conversation Lia sneaks her arms around me. "I was worried about you," she whispers to my shoulder. I wrap an arm around her and pull her into my side. "I'm okay babe. I was in front of the whole thing."

She shrugs and looks to the ground. "I'm just scared one day it will be you under layers of tiers, not able to get out and there will be nothing I can do to help. It's scary." I let out a sigh and kiss the top of her head. "Don't worry about that too much, fatal accidents are very rare." She sniffs at that comment, not really buying my words. "And please don't look them up. I'm not going to lie about the dangers of this sport, but that Zhou walked away without a scratch today should give you some comfort."

She seems to think about that for a moment, but then nods and lets the tension in her shoulders go. "I need to go to a fan event and after that there's probably an after party for Carlos somewhere. Are you coming or are you guys staying here?" I ask the others who are still talking.

I see Max' eyes checking Sabine on his right. He's following her answer. Interesting. I smile to myself, making a note to ask Lia about them later. "I would like to go home, it's been a long day." Ashley says with an apologetic smile. "Where are you two sleeping?" she asks her friends. Lia looks up at me to confirm. "We'll stay at our place in Woking." I answer, nodding too max, who approves with a small nod back. I silently assume we'll take Sabine with us than. 

"Okay then," Ashley says with raised brows. She's onto the two as well for all I can see. I chuckle to my self. "I'm making my way back to London," Ashley concludes. "Can I travel with you?" Maria asks and the two decide to leave, while Max and Sabine go with me and Ophelia to the stage where hundreds of fans are gathered.