𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒚-𝒔𝒊𝒙.

Ophelia

"There is more orange around here than in an orange orchard," I exclaim to Lando when he comes to me after the sprint. He's not happy, I can read it all over his body. The best thing to do now is, distract, get through the media and relax. I give him a quick hug to not draw too much attention to us, but give him some comfort at the same time.

"It's all for the McLaren team," he says, raising his voice so his statement can be heard by the whole garage. He gets a few shouts of approval back and we laugh. "You did great today Lan, big points are dealt out tomorrow." He nods at me with a smile that doesn't completely reach his eyes.

"Are you taking me to media?" He asks hopefully. I shrink a bit and shake my head, nerves coming over me again. "I have to go to Lucinda and Andreas, remember."

"Right, forgot. Let them see your worth." He kisses my forehead before taking my headset from me and laying it down. "I'll walk you over." he offers, but I hold him at an arm's length. "You have media duties mister, go with Jack, I'll be fine. I'm almost a university graduate, I can fend for myself."

He looks around if someone is watching us closely. Most people in the garage already know that there is something between us and luckily they keep it to themselves, but we don't need to hang our laundry for everyone to see. No one is watching us closely and Lando kisses me softly. "My graduate, I'm so proud. Now go get your job so I can keep you by my side for the rest of the season." He slaps my arse and I laugh at the love tap. I wave before taking off to the McLaren hospitality.

The meeting is held in one of the conference rooms of the hospitality. I knock and hear Andreas giving me permission to answer. Around a small table are he, Lucinda and Tom, the head of Public Relations. "Ophelia, take a seat. Thank you for joining us."

"Thank you for inviting me," I answer politely before sitting down.

"We don't want to keep you long, because we know there is lots to do so we'll keep this short." Lucinda starts. I look at my nails feeling nervous about the whole situation. I've worked with these people for months, but they are still the big bosses to me, so I can't help myself and start picking at my nails, trying to focus on what Lucinda is telling me. "I'll get right to the point. These last months working with you have been great and super fruitful. I learned much from you and your input is always appreciated."

I wait for the 'but' to come, but Adreas completes her with something different. "We see a lot of potential in you, Ophelia. And because you are graduating in a few days we think you are the perfect candidate for a position we need filling next year." Next year. That means not the rest of this season, but from 2023. Which means I wont be around the paddock for almost half a year.

"Now don't get upset, there is more." Andreas continues as he sees my face fall. I try to remain professional and push my first disappointment aside. "We would like to keep you on for your current position for the remainder of the season, but with a pay check instead of an internship."

If I had a mirror right now I would be blinded by my own smile. This is the best thing that I could have imagined. Getting paid to be in the paddock, doing what I love, with the person I love. I need to do a quick reality check on myself to keep it together, but I'm Astonished about the offer. "Wow, thank you so much. I am honoured that you are even considering me. I want to thank you all for this opportunity and all the others that you've already given me."

We talk about the job description, salary and other important stuff and half an hour later I walk out the door with a 1.5 year contract in my inbox.

"How did it go?" Lando sprints to me from the corner where he was sitting with Daniel, Charles and Max. "Have you all been waiting for me?" I drag out the telling to make him even more excited. "Yeah, we have, now tell us!" Max chimes in and the other two also look at me. Lando drags me to the table where the group is sitting and I smile, throwing my arms up. "You're looking at the new junior assistant manager, public relations of McLaren formula one team."