𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒐𝒏𝒆.

Lando

I let go of my gas and exhaled when I crossed the finish line. "That's P5, P5. Save as much fuel on the in-lap as you can. Save as much fuel. Well done, good job." says William over the radio. I smile to myself and answer him quickly.

P5 is a great result after a horrible start. I had so much wheel spin that I lost two places to the Mercedes cars. It was a difficult push after that, but with a couple of yellows I managed to keep up. I felt a little bad for Max. A technical issue again, it wasn't a good start for his championship battle. He definitely wants to defeat his title, but in this speed it's not going to work.

On the other hand, did his DNF secure my fifth place and with that great points for the team. Nobody knew of course that I was pushing for a different reason as well. My smile widens when I think about what I just achieved. I'm going to meet her, the girl I've been thinking about non-stop for the last three months. I even laugh a little when I consider the fact that Ophelia might be the push I need this season.

I drive my in-lap and go to parc-fermé. When I get out of the car I see Daniel getting out behind me. "Good job mate," he gives me a quick hand and I return the gesture. "Yeah you too. Australia can be proud of you." He laughs and nods his head to the crowd. "I think they are." I laugh at him and we walk into the paddock where we get separated by our PR managers.

"You coming?" Lucinda asks when I approach her. I nod and follow her to the media pen where I spent the mandatory time answering the same questions with every reporter. It gets a little dull after some time, but there still are some funny questions. Lucinda knows who my favourite reporters are and plays a little with the time each one is given.

"Okay last one is F1 tv, but Alex is still with them so we'll have to wait for a bit." Lucinda informs me. I look at the desk of F1 where Rosanna was interviewing Alex. "I'll just go now." I shrug and walk over to the F1 desk, while ignoring Lucinda who tries to stop me. I'm in a good mood and want to have some fun.

I join them and grab a mic while Alex tacks off my cap. What is it this weekend and people trying to get my cap? "Oh not the hair" Rosanna laughs and I laugh with her. I joke around with Alex while still trying to answer some of Rosanna's questions.

After ten minutes we end the interview and I walk alongside Alex to the hospitality's.

"What's gotten into you?" He asks me while drying off his sweaty head on the towel he holds in his hands.

I look at him and shrug. "Nothing, just had a great day, P5 is nice, it's good weather, life's great." I pat him on the back and enjoy the confused look he gives me. "You're nuts, you know that?" He asks and I laugh even harder. "Yeah, but that's my charm."

We walk through the paddock and he drops me off at the McLaren hospitality. I wave him goodbye, wishing him a good flight. "Thanks, maybe I'll see you this week and otherwise I'll see you at Imola." He says and walks off with a last wave.

I walk into the Motorhome and go to my little room to have a sit down. I take out my phone and scroll through it. I'm just finishing a post for Instagram when I get a notification

Lia 🌞 send you a new message
Guess I'll see you in Italy

I feel the heat rise in my body and the excitement grows bigger. She is actually going to come. I take a second to wrap my head around her agreeing. It was so difficult to get her to open up in the beginning. That was very much my fault, because of the lying about who I really was. After I confessed she started to open up a little, but it still wasn't easy. Like she still didn't trust me fully.

Her rejection to come to this week's race hurt. I knew she wasn't going to say yes immediately, but I hoped for a maybe. I wanted to feel like she wanted to meet me as bad as I wanted to meet her. That's a thing to worry about later. For now all that matters is that she is coming to Italy.

I open the message and think about what to write back, but the urge to hug her, see her, talk to her is so big, I don't know how I want to react. Instead I go into my contacts and look for the 'L'. I tap the blue cone and wait for it to be picked up.

I don't need to wait for long, because within two seconds of dialling her I am met with her beautiful voice.

"Hey you. You were great today." I smile, knowing she is making an effort of following my work just so she can understand my job and my world better. It's an amazing feeling that someone makes an effort for you and I feel my stomach contract.

"Thanks, I made P5." I say, trying to rub it in that I won our little deal.

"I know, I saw. Aren't you proud of me, watching your race at six in the morning." She sounds a little arrogant and I laugh at her tone. "Very proud indeed. Aren't you proud of me for putting up with someone who doesn't understand a single thing about my work?" I counter.

"Oi, that's not fair. I'm trying." She laughs. I just know if she were with me she would have thrown something at me. That image makes me smile and feel even more warm and fuzzy from the inside.

"I know, babe."

She is silent for a moment before responding again. "Babe? That's new." She sounds a little shook and I curse myself. That's the first time I actually used the word. I have wanted to many times, but never did. I was afraid of scaring her thinking I meant it as a girlfriend nickname. Maybe I do, but not when I use it right now.

"Uhm, I'm sorry. I just.. yeah that came out wrong" I stammer and facepalm myself. I'm an idiot. "I shouldn't have said that." I wait anxiously for her to say something.

"No, no Lando, it's fine. I knew you meant it in a good way. It's fine." She says eventually. She doesn't sound fine, but I don't push the matter afraid of saying more dumb things.

"You got P5 tough. I guess you called me in the first place about my text?" She ask with a nervous voice.

My happy feeling returns when she mentions her text. "Yeah, I wanted to know if you are for real." I pause, choosing my words wisely. "Because I know we made a deal, and I really want you to come to Italy, but if you are hesitant I don't want to make you do things you don't really want." I say it like a sigh, letting out all my air. I don't dare to take my next breath until she answers.

"I admit it's a little scary." I breathe in and take a sip of water, trying to listen carefully. "But I want to meet you and see your world." she sighs. It feels like she is keeping something from me, but she will tell it when she's ready. "And I want to meet more of your F1 buddy's. Daniel is nice," she jokes. I laugh and feel the heavy feeling of the conversation leave the air.

"Yeah, about that. How is it fair that Daniel meets you before I even get to meet you?" I try to sound offended but it doesn't come out that way because I'm still laughing.

"I don't know. You sent me to MTC on the day he was there. It was a coincidence!" She tries to defend and I sniff. "You just used me to get to Danny."

"Yes, I admit." She says innocently. "I knew who you were the whole time and this was all a scheme to get to Daniel."

"You are a witch, you know that?" I ask. She laughs and the only response I get from the other end of the line is a 'mhm'.

"I need to go Lia, I'm sorry. I need to discuss the race and still have some other duties. I would say goodnight, but for you it's good morning." I say looking at my watch. If I don't go now Andreas would have my head.

"That's okay, I have to leave for work in an hour anyway. Have a safe flight."

I smile. "Thanks, and we'll talk about the details for Imola."

"Yes, I'm looking forward to it." She sounds a little dreamy and ads, "We're going to meet. For real."

With that hanging in the air we end the call. I stare at the wall for a second, letting my feelings for this girl over take me. I need to make this the best weekend ever. 

--

Are you ready for Imola? I know I am :)

Lots of love