𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚.

Lando

"Let's send it today, right?" Will gives me a pat on the back just before I get into the car. I nod to him, not able to speak with my helmet on. I look around one time where I see Ophelia giving me a thumbs up from the back of the garage where she would be watching.

The sexual tension between us was hardly bearable after our magical moment and I felt like I was dreaming when I woke up next to her yesterday. The whole day I felt like I was going crazy. We hadn't spent much extra time together alone, because of the sprint race and it had just been a busy day overall. All I wanted to do all day was corner her between the motorhomes and kiss her like there was no tomorrow.

It's a real miracle I was able to focus yesterday and it was even a greater miracle we managed to finish 5th. I was happy with the result and the smile Ophelia gave me after made my heart warm in a way that meant a little too much. I have to admit to myself I was a little disappointed when she asked about the meaning of it all. It was clear she wasn't ready to take it too seriously, which is fine of course and I don't even know if I am ready myself, but I couldn't deny the little chest pain I felt when she said it.

If I can find an excuse to kiss her again today I will take it with both hands. With that thought in mind I lower myself into the papaya car and get ready to drive one hell of a race.

***

"Do not battle Leclerc, he is not in our race. We want these tires to last," I hear Will over the radio and can't help but feel a little annoyed at the comment. Everyone is in my race, in my opinion. But tyre management is the most important now so I listen to my engineer and don't push when I see the red Ferrari exit the pit lane in front of me.

With the track being wet at the start and still drying it's hard to keep the car steady, but I feel like I'm in the right headspace and know I can finish this with good points. I keep my head in the race and drive as best as I can. Couple of minutes later I take a look in my mirrors to see if Russell is in sight, but he is nowhere to be found. I smile to myself, but then spot the Ferrari going off the track.

"That Leclerc?" I ask Will and he confirms. I see he manages to keep driving as I feel him closing in. "He needs to stop. He has damage." I hear over my radio and my heart starts going quicker. There is a podium in this for us. "How much can I push?" I ask, trying to keep my head cool. "We are quicker than the cars behind, no need to push the tyres. Just head down."

That's what I do and I drive another 8 clean laps. When I cross the chequered flag I throw my fist in the air, knowing we just won a podium! "P3! That's P3 well done!" Will cheers over the radio and I hear the sounds of the garage celebrating the great result. I let out some primal scream and a couple of wohoo's while starting the in-lap. "That's a podium! Who would have thought. Great work guys! Let's go!"

I drive to parc-ferme and park behind the sign with number three on it. With a huge smile I get out of the car and sprint to my team where I jump onto them. I get almost crushed underneath the pats, handshakes and hugs. When I am let go I turn around to follow Max and Sergio to the cooldown room.

We chat awaiting our podium and I can't stop smiling. I hadn't seen Ophelia yet, but I am sure that she was somewhere in the crowd. When I step onto the podium I look at the people below us to see if I can find the face I want to see most at this point. I almost fall down when I step up to the podium. Luckily I can retain my balance and play it kind of cool.

I look around the crowd, not paying attention to anything around me, trying to find her face. When the Dutch anthem starts playing I finally spot her on the side of the group wearing all orange. She probably had been staring at me the whole time, because when my eyes meet hers she smiles brighter. She gives me a small wave and I wave back with my hat. I forget for a second that I am standing on a podium in front of a lot of people, but when the orange group starts chanting my name I realise my mistake. They thought I waved at them. I laugh because of my team and wave again, this time really at them.

One of the officials hands me the trophy and my smile grows even bigger, if that is even possible. I put my hands holding the trophy in the air and the whole crowd cheers. I take it all in for a moment, not able to make my smile slink. I pick up my champagne bottle and get ready to do my trick. When I let the champagne spray out of the bottle I knock over max's trophy in the process. "Oh shit," I mumble and spray the Dutch driver so he looks at me.

I point at the trophy and he looks where I am pointing. He starts laughing and sprays a hard jet of champagne on me. "Now drink!" He laughs. I shake my head at him. He knows I hate champagne, that's the only reason he makes me drink. "Come on, you need to get used to this," he laughs and brings my bottle to my lips. Unwillingly I obey and choke on half of it. "Thanks mate," I say sarcastically and Sergio and Max laugh at my disgust.

Sharing a podium with people you are actually friends with is the most amazing thing. I turn to the crowd and spray over my team, before exiting the podium with a skipping step. "You are way too happy for just a podium," Max says, catching up to me and wrapping an arm around me. I shrug at him, "just a very good weekend." He laughs, "yeah right, I heard something else. You finally got yourself a girl?" I look at my feet and smile, thinking of Ophelia who is waiting for me outside. "That is non of your business." I say and Max laughs, giving me a pat on the back, "well, if she is it make sure to work for it."  With those words we part ways.

When I walk back to the McLaren hospitality I look around me to find the girl who had been here seconds ago. I think about Max's words and know he is right. Ophelia is the only one I am thinking about right now to celebrate the P3 and that is saying something. When I almost reach my destination I feel a hand closing around my wrist that pulls me in the dark alley between our paddock building and the next.

"Hey you." Ophelia says softly, smiling at me. I smile back and lean my hand next to her head. "I had a podium," I brag playfully. She laughs and wraps her arms around my waist. I am slightly taller than her and when she is so close she needs to look up a bit. It makes her look cute and confident at the same time and it does things to my brain that are not healthy. 

"I saw," she replies. Then she stands on her toes and brings her head closer to mine. I feel my heartbeat quickening and my inside becomes a blur when she whispers, "Congratulations are in order then." I can't restrain myself any longer and give in to my urge to taste her beautiful lips. They feel as soft as the first time and the beast inside my stomach gives an approving growl, dancing around. I deepen the kiss and give myself over in the moment.

When we need to break for air she looks at me with a playful twinkle in her eye that makes me smile as well. "What?" I ask laughing and she just shrugs at me, "nothing, it's just so unreal to me sometimes. Me being here with you, making out behind a motorhome in the formula one paddock." she chuckles and makes a dismissing gesture with her hand. "Never mind."

"No, I get it. For me it's just a normal life, but I get that to someone who doesn't grow into it, like yourself, it can be overwhelming." I assure her. "Besides making out behind the motorhome isn't something I've done before, so yeah that part is new to." I ad, grinning at her closing the distance between us once again to fill my desire for her touch.

Finally we break apart and she takes my hands in hers. "I think you need to go celebrate with your team. I want to speak to Charlotte before she leaves and then I'll find you back here?"

I nod at her and give her a kiss on her cheek. "And when we get back we can enjoy this amazing last night." She laughs when I wink and we walk back to the paddock. When we part ways I look over my shoulder to the girl I'm leaving behind. Her hair dance's on her back when she walks through the paddock to the Ferrari hospitality. I feel like the luckiest guy alive just being able to spend time with her. I want to work for this, and hard.

--

I loved writing this whole section, like the last chapters. Imola was such a great weekend and such good points for Lando. 

2 days until Canada, I hope it's going to be a good one. 

Lots of love