𝑺𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒚-𝒐𝒏𝒆.

"I'll see you tonight, good luck love." I kiss Lando before getting out of the car. "I'll call you before picking you up." I nod and wave at him. He starts the engine of the car again and drives off.

When the car had disappeared from view around the corner, I look up at the apartment building in front of me. It feels like I haven't been away that long, but it has been a good month. Being away on the road, going from racetrack to racetrack I'd stayed away longer from this place I called home. But coming back when it isn't my home anymore makes me feel a little melancholy. I shake that feeling and replace it with the happy foresight to have a long overdue girls night.

I dig up my key from my purse and put it in the lock, not surprised it still fits. I push open the door slowly, peeking inside to see if my friends would notice. The scene I'm met with is both of them hanging on the couch, glasses and a bottle of wine on the table next to all our favourite snacks. I smile to myself, just like old times.

"I can't remember the last time we had a wine night." Both women jump up at my voice. Ashley immediately runs to me and while she is crushing me in her embrace I laugh at Sabine, holding a hand on her heart. "You scared the living shit out of me, Lia. Good lord."

"Well, good. That proves something in this household is still alive. You look like a bunch of zombies." I flop on the couch, a bit too close to Sabine which results in me landing on top of her. She makes an uncomfortable sound and lets out all her air. "Your fat."

I touch her nose, while sliding off her. "You shouldn't say that, it's not something a girl likes to hear." She pants dramatically to catch her breath. "I should, when it's true, what has Lando been feeding you?"

I roll my eyes, giving her my finger with a sweet smile. She smiles back just as sweetly and my sarcastic face turns into a real smile. "I've missed you." I turn my head to Ashley, who has started to pour wine into the glasses. "Both of you."

She hands me a glass holding up her own. "We missed you too, darling." Our glasses clink together and I take a sip. The alcohol almost immediately warming my veins. "How have you been?" Ashley asks. "How was Tokyo?"

"Amazing. And very bright." I start talking about the things I have done the last month and they tell me about their lives here. Sabine moved into my room and they have been working in the café most of the days. They share stories about the other staff and some regulars I haven't seen in months and I enjoy every second of it.

"Oh and she," Ashley points her accusing finger at Sabine. "Has left me alone again." Sabine turns her face in dramatic shock to Ashley. "Me? What have I done?"

"You moved in with me, but I never see you anymore. You are always with Max." Ashley laughs, pulling a face and Sabine also laughs, blood rushing to her cheeks. While they laugh and start counting the days Sabine has actually been home, my smile fades and my stomach drops. Guilt creeps up in me. I haven't asked about her and Max once the last few weeks. I actually haven't asked them anything, I only sent them pictures every time I was doing something new and amazing. How could I have forgotten about them so easily? I had more contact with Charlotte and Kelly than my best friends.

The feeling of guilt shifts to anger. Anger towards myself and my selfishness. "Lia, are you okay?" Sabine asks, taking my hand that had started to pick at the trim of my nails.

"I've been an arse. I'm so sorry, I've been selfish. I should've been more interested in your lives. I don't even know how you and Max are doing." The lump in my throat grows when I see them exchange a glance. "It's okay, you have been busy." Ashley smiles and Sabine nods, but I shake my head. "No, it's not okay. Being busy or not, I could've taken the time to text you guys more or ask about you. I've been a shit friend"

Sabine lets go of my hand and shrugs. "Maybe you could've, but it doesn't make you a shitty friend."

"Yeah, give yourself some credit." Ashley adds. "You just moved across Europe, doing all kinds of things outside your comfort zone, girl you're living the dream life and we are just very glad you share a little piece of it with us." She smiles, but I can't stop feeling shit.

"And let's not forget your whole life is to follow, so we don't miss a thing." Sabine winks. "We want you to have it all and as long as you take me to a Grand Prix or two we'll never resent you for having it all." I laugh at her subtle hint, a weight lifting off my shoulders. She nudges me and adds, "And our lives are not like a romance novel. So I'm actually glad you don't ask that often so my life doesn't look that mundane compared to yours."

I scoff at her. "Your life is, tell me about it." Sabine beams at me, love glowing in her eyes. "We've been great. He makes me laugh and we joke around a lot. It's very light and just feels good." I smile at her. "I'm so happy for you."

"I actually met his parents the other day and they are the sweetest." The weight that was just lived from my shoulders returns in double when I hear her say that.

"After a month? Bold move." My laugh sounds more genuine than I expected it to be. She pulls her shoulders up and blushes. "It happened sort of by accident. His mother came by when I was over. Max is big on family and his parents drop by from time to time. He wasn't expecting her, but yeah. We were there on the couch," Sabine her voice trails off and I get her meaning. I burst into real laughter, forgetting the heavy feeling for a moment, with Ashely next to me snickering in her glass. "First Ashley, now Max's mother. Are you becoming a voyeur Bine?" My laugh choking in my throat. "When she came home her head was still as red as a tomato."

"That's not true! We had a lovely talk and she is an amazing woman." Sabine her head gets even more red as my laugh gets harder.

"Did she have the same opinion of you?" Sabine pushes me, making me spill a little wine over me. I don't mind as I am too distracted with the story. "Don't be mean. Max told me she could laugh about it, so it should be good." I wipe the tears from laughter from my face. "Well, I've only seen my in-laws once since Lando and I are together so you should be able to avoid yours too."

"You're not avoiding them, you are just always too far away." Sabine counters and I nod at her. "True, we would see them more if we could. They're lovely people."

"Better than your own folks," Ashley mutters. I grimace at that. "Yeah, for sure they are." I sigh looking up at the ceiling. The alcohol has taken up residence in my body and my words flow more freely than is good for me.

"I met your parents, they're fine." Sabine says, a confused look on her face. Ashley scoffs, "When was the last time you saw them?" She ignores Sabine's comment on purpose, focussing her question on me. "My birthday, when I was forced to play happy family." They nod, not saying much at that. "It was actually just before meeting Lando." I remember, thinking back. It feels like a lifetime ago.

"They know about him right?" I nod at Sabine's question. "Yeah, but only pleasantries and I would not be surprised if my mother kept taps on everything that happens online." I sighs, swirling my wine around in my glass.

"Am I a bad girlfriend for not wanting them to meet?" I look between my friends, who both have a vague look on their face, contemplating what to answer to that. I bite my bottom lip, guilt literally eating me.

"No," Ashley sighs. "We both know how it is going to go down." She takes my hand in comfort. "Lando understands right?" I don't answer, looking at her with the guilt seeping out of my eyes. Ashley's expression turns into surprise and then disbelief. "You haven't even prepared him?!"

"I just hoped they would be a little less extreme than most times, they obviously are going to like him, and then we leave before it gets out of hand." Ashley rolls her eyes at me. "That's not going to happen and you know that."

"Best case scenario is that they like him and I can get away without any comments or speeches." The last of my wine disappears down my throat and I stand up to walk to the kitchen. "Someone wants another glass?" End of discussion. I'm doing this my way and I am probably going to regret it.

--