Chapter 10

"No, I do not."

I shook my head vigorously.

"Really?"

"Yes."

I could not possibly say a word of truth that I had helped him. Because the moment that I do, my parents are going to push Cassius and me to get married right away.

The reason I was not able to get married yet was because I was the heir to the Countess.

The heir was somewhat liberal in choosing whom they want to marry. In the case of female heirs, most of the husbands became the son-in-law of, so there were many cases of marrying an aristocrat.

Hence, it was also not uncommon for people to get married late beyond the age of marriage.

But, if the subject is the heir to the Duke?

Then, the whole thing totally changes.

My parents were people who could do anything if they could make me a Duchess.

Not out of love for Evelyn Garneid, though for their own benefit since it would be such a huge deal to have an in-law as a Duke.

Although the heir seat was vacated because of me as Duchess...

Well, the two of them will still make it happen even if that is the case.

As soon as I had barely finished all the makeup, the butler knocked on the door.

"Duke Cassius Brudenell has arrived."

Hearing that, my mother nodded at the butler.

"Go, and..."

She said as her sharp eyes stared at me.

"Do not let me down this time."

"...."

I swallowed a sigh.

Her disappointment caused all of us to lose our heads. More precisely, we are going to be burned alive-

After a while, I arrived at the drawing room.

"Duke Cassius is waiting for you, Young Lady."

I entered the drawing room, not hiding my irritation at the uncomfortable shoes and dresses.

Even more irritating, Cassius Brudenell looked very healthy. Unlike the original story, his wounds did not heal properly, so the hope that he might be weak went to waste.

"It's been a while, Evelyn."

At his words, I frowned.

"Two days... and you said it's been a while?"

"Two days feels like a long time to be separated after being cared for by you every day."

"...."

There is the Cassius Brudenell response I've come across over the past few weeks.

Now, I have also learned something. That is, if I do not have something to answer, I do not force myself to answer because if I only come up with an answer, I am only going to get caught up with Cassius.

"How is Miss Ophelia doing?"

"Why are you talking about her?"

At the sudden mention of Ophelia, it felt as if my breathing was suffocating.

"Obviously, you already promised not to visit Ophelia."

"I just wanted to say hello."

"I do not even know how that dirty girl is doing. I'm not interested in her."