Chapter 60

Chapter 60

"I lost it on my way from the capital."

"To lose something so important... You're not as meticulous as you look."

"I'm sorry."

"Well, it doesn't matter. This isn't some high aristocratic house of any capital city. You can start working today."

"Thank you!"

I bowed my head. This covers both accommodation, food, and livelihood. There are more than a hundred servants in this mansion alone, so I would not even stand out.

Perhaps, it was because I showed that I was delighted, the head maid's eyes narrowed.

"Are you in debt?"

"Yes?"

"Or, you had an accident at your original job... Or, maybe you had an affair with the son of the employer. It must be one of the three."

The butler nodded his head in agreement.

"Other than that, there's no reason for a maid of such an age to come all the way from the capital to here without a letter of recommendation."

"Did you hear that? Even though it's none of my business, the two of us are managing this. So, if you're being chased by debtors, it'd be a good idea to let us know in advance."

The head maid's threat does not contain a light weight.

"Ah..."

I mumbled my words. It was not meant to be an excuse.

'...What should I say?'

Naturally, the general reaction would be a reaction of vehemently denying all three. However, the more I do it, the more suspicious it looks.

Thinking that, in the end, I decided to live up to their expectations.

"...I'm in debt."

Anyway, I was being chased, so this was the closest thing to the truth.

"Really? How much?"

"...."

When I did not answer, the head maid chief let out a smirk.

"Looks like an indescribable amount? Then, I'm sorry but I can't leave valuables around you. You'll be doing the toughest things... Is that okay?"

I blinked my eyes.

Rather than them kicking me out because I have faults, they were going to give them a different position...? Even though I was stunned and surprised, they seemed to be somewhat hesitant, seeing that the butler suddenly made an incredible offer.

"Instead, I'll try to block the debtors as much as possible. Let's see... I'll give you a suitable name. There's a maid named Marina Salt, who returned to her hometown because she was sick. She looked quite similar to you, so you can pretend to be her while you work here."

"....!"

I shut my mouth. Even if he had offered to pay off all of my debts at this point, I would not have been so surprised.

"I'll do it!"

The words came out somewhat strongly, thinking that it was a deal that should not be missed. Nevertheless, neither the butler nor the head maid seemed to care much.

Eventually, the head maid opened her mouth with satisfaction.

"Great. I'll tell you where to work right away, so go over there and start working."

"Yes."

"If you do anything ridiculous, I'll scatter your real name and description around the capital. Think before you act."