Chapter 59

Chapter 59

As I opened my mouth before closing it again, it was as if I had been hit in the head and could not think of a word. Seeing that, Gabriel smiled bitterly.

"It's true."

"...."

"I thought so, because Eve still couldn't trust me... You can't just believe me all of a sudden."

"Gabriel."

When I tried to open my mouth to make an excuse, I was interrupted by Gabriel.

"It's okay. I understand everything."

He persisted, letting out a sigh, "Even Eve wouldn't have believed me. I mean, how could you believe me? Anyone can see that I'm taking Eve for the purpose of exploitation..."

"...Did you know that?"

Asking that, my voice trembled on its own.

"Of course."

He answered sadly.

"Still, I thought maybe Eve would believe in me, or maybe someday, if not now... If I showed my sincerity, you would believe me..."

"...I'm sorry."

I lowered my head. The emotion contained in each and every word of Gabriel was felt so large that it filled the small room.

"It's okay."

Gabriel answered calmly.

"Actually, it's true that I originally approached Eve for that purpose."

"....!"

Naturally, my body shivered and I instinctively stepped back.

Gabriel did not reach out to stop me.

"I'm sorry if I surprised you a lot. I thought Eve was already thinking that way... I guess you weren't. I apologize again."

"... knew it, but I hoped it wasn't."

My voice trembled like a thorn. Even though I was able to confirm through his own mouth what I had been suspicious of until now, I was not happy at all.

Rather, bitter emotions came over me like a tidal wave.

'Of course...'

It would not be a lie to say that I have developed feelings of affection. However, even then, would the original purpose change now?

"I've been meaning to tell you this many times... If I had known this would be the case, it would have been better not to say anything at all."

Gabriel buried his face in his hands. I suppressed the urge to immediately run out of the room and opened my mouth.

"No."

A more decisive word came out of my mouth than I had intended.

"Thank you for telling me."

"...."

At my words, he slowly raised his head. The reddened eyes stood out.

"But, I can't keep following Gabriel."

"I understand. Eve doesn't trust me, because she doesn't know how I feel..."

"No, that's not it."

Saying so, I shook my head.

"That's not what I mean."

Now, I know. Gabriel loves me... At least, he has his own love, if not the universal sense. Nonetheless, whether that kind of love was acceptable to me was an entirely different matter.