Chapter 54

Chapter 54

"...I think the door's broken."

I tried to speak as calmly as possible since being flustered now would not really help.

"Shouldn't we just let others know that we're here?"

"How do we do that?"

I had nothing to say because I was the one who made it a completely confined situation in the first place.

"At least, we can't starve to death here."

"There's a lot of food for that, isn't there? There is also alcohol as well."

Saying so, his face lit up.

Carefully prepared snacks such as expensive wine, fruit baskets, and luxurious bread caught my eye. Cassius then walked up to the table and, with a graceful hand, poured two glasses of wine and handed me a glass.

"It's a wine from Citro Island, isn't it? I never thought a precious wine that only produces ten bottles a year would be here like this. It seems the Empress must really care about you."

"...She's a good person."

"I'm glad."

The corners of Cassius' lips drew an arc and he sipped the red wine.

"I was a little worried."

"What are you worried about?"

"The Imperial Palace is not a place for you, Evelyn."

I barely swallowed a laugh. So, is a place with the Duke of Brudenell suitable for me...?

"But, I'm glad you're doing well."

"Ah... Thank you."

I thanked him awkwardly.

Come to think of it, I would not have even had a chance to become the Empress's handmaiden if it had not been for Cassius. At the same time, it was not for him, I would not even want to be the Empress's handmaiden in the first place.

"Is there anything you want to say to me?"

"No."

I gave a brief reply and glanced only at the precious wine. It seemed like it was a good wine, with a sweet yet tangy aroma.

'...Shall we drink?'

Since there was nothing to talk about, it would not be a bad idea to spend time drinking wine.

'It's delicious.'

The sweet, sour, and astringent flavors were in perfect harmony without being overdone and spread smoothly in my mouth. Because of that, it took only a few minutes for a glass of wine to empty.

And, the emptying of another glass was also instantaneous.

Cassius, who had not said anything while drinking the wine, opened his mouth.

"You seem to like it."

"Yes."

I nodded as I answered before adding my words, "However, don't do anything like buying the island itself. It's not to that extent."

"Well, I was going to buy it as soon as I leave this place."

"Lord, that's the problem."

I raised my finger.

Was the alcohol content higher than it looked...? Then, words that I would never normally have said came pouring out of my mouth.

"When did I say I wanted to drink more? I just said it was delicious. I don't even like alcohol that much."