Chapter 50

Chapter 50

The beautifully crafted lapis lazuli radiated a mysterious iridescent light. Ruby and emerald, intertwined in layers, shone a dark red light from the center of the medal.

...Such lights cannot come out of ordinary jewels.

I swallowed dry saliva.

'That's—'

How could I not know? None of the finest jewels I have ever bought were like this. Some of them had qualities comparable to those of the imperial collection, though that unique luster and light meant only one thing...

Only the jewels in the hands of the pure descent of the Bynell Royal Family could emit such a light.

'....'

When I stretched out my hand as if possessed, Gabriel meekly presented the medal. As soon as it was placed on my hand, the jewels lost their mysterious effulgence and became normal.

'That's right.'

I had no choice but to admit it.

The man in front of him was the Prince of the Bynell Kingdom... It meant that he was from the same Bynell Kingdom, which sent assassins to Cassius at the beginning of the original novel.

Complex emotions fluttered in my mind. The feeling that resembled betrayal, but was not completely dark, stopped wriggling for a moment at the following words.

"My real name is Lucifer Bynell."

...Gabriel, or should I call him Lucifer? The blue-haired man whom I thought I knew well, but that was no longer true anymore, whispered softly.

"I always wanted to be Gabriel in front of you. Though..."

"Please, tell me one thing."

I interrupted Gabriel's words.

Now was not the time to hear excuses.

"Did you get on that ship after me?"

"No."

He shook his head vehemently before adding, "How would I know Eve was coming?"

"...."

I am not an idiot.

Is it truly because Gabriel loved me like he said that he came to me with his life at stake...? Even if that were the case, would it have nothing to do with the fact that the Duke of Brudenell and the Royal Family of Bynell are enemies?

Nonetheless, pointing out that fact would be of no use.

Gabriel's answer had been decided, and I could not believe whether it was the truth or a lie.

"You don't believe me."

I turned my eyes away at his words.

Although I needed time to think, he pushed on without giving me the slightest a break.

"Eve, it's okay if you don't trust me. Instead, think of it as you using my power for a moment to escape from him. You know enough what kind of man Cassius Brudenell is."

Of course.

Had it not been for his true identity, I would have agreed with his words over and over again.

It was true that Cassius Brudenell was a monster without blood or tears. Though now, things were very different. At least, I was familiar with Cassius. It meant that I knew even the most sloppy side of him, either from the novels or from my own experiences.

Whereas it is different with Gabriel.

In the meantime, he had been completely hiding his identity from me. If I had chosen to run away without asking him for proof, he might not have revealed his identity until the very end.