Chapter 22

I sighed inwardly.

‘As expected…’

Gabriel Vecchio was not as simple a man as he may seem on the surface. Apparently, he also got on this ship because of some complicated internal circumstances.

For a moment, a crazy thought ran through my head that he might be a subordinate of Cassius Brudenell…

‘No, I do not think so.’

I hurriedly erased that thought.

There are various circumstances in the world. Just because there was something to hide, it did not mean that it was necessary to associate with Cassius.

I changed the subject swiftly.

“I was just curious, so you do not have to answer.”

“…It’s, uh, Eve…”

Gabriel was trying to explain something.

Nonetheless, it was not worth pricking my ears. At the same time, a customer rushed into the store.

“Welcome!”

I greeted them brightly.

When Mrs. Ned found out that I was good at the job, I was practically running the store because she did not show up at the store anymore.

“Girl, bring me the most expensive one.”

Should I even call him a customer…?

Everywhere I looked, a drunken man waved his hands towards me, smelling like alcohol.

I barely picked the contorted expression on my face.

Even though it was dangerous to get drunk on a boat, the boat was overflowing with alcohol. Still, with money, they could drown themselves in alcohol.

Kegs were the first thing to fill when docked at the port, so that pretty much said everything.

So, these drunk customers often came to the store.

‘I guess they will just mess around with a lot of stuff and go away without buying it.’

I sighed and took out the fist-sized owl-shaped jewel ornament that Mrs. Ned had told me to show instead. At first glance, it looked very expensive, though it was actually a counterfeit. At first, I thought it was a scam, but soon I realized that Mrs. Ned’s method was rather wise.

It was because the drunkards either threw ornaments or even tried to eat them at some point before…

Mrs. Ned advised that if anyone really wants to buy, I should check the money first before giving the original.

“What, it does not look very expensive?”

The drunkard stumbled and pulled his wallet out of his pocket.

“So, how much is this?”

I showed the price tag instead of answering.

Seeing the price tags with six zeros on them, the drunk man’s eyes widened as though they were about to pop out of the air.

It was expected.

However, the next reaction was unexpected.

The drunk man put the owl in his arms, and he quickly started running away. He moved so fast that I could not believe he was actually drunk.

‘He must not be drunk…!’

It was then that I realized that I had been deceived. Nonetheless, I could not stay still. No matter how imitation it was, it was still a store item.