Chapter 61

The new life went by in an instant.

In the blink of an eye, a full moon passed and it became autumn in full force. Laundry and cleaning, which were difficult and arduous at first, have now become quite proficient, and I have been praised for it.

"Didn't she originally say that she was the handmaiden of a noble lady? So, I thought she couldn't do the dirty work although she's very good. Please, work here for a long time."

"There's nowhere to go but here."

"That's right... Marina, please, take care of this as well."

The maid, who was the leader of the maids in charge of the laundry, handed me a beautiful pile of laundry.

Marina Salt...

It was the name of the sickly former maid to whom I accidentally borrowed the status. I pricked my conscience for pretending to be her without permission, though I guess I would have to live with it, anyway.

It was so heavy that my legs staggered the moment it came together, but I did not complain. It was because a life of hard work every day and a weekly wage in return was much better than a life of fearing when Cassius would attack.

Right now, it was time for me to grab a bundle of laundry and hurried to the laundry room.

"Marina Salt, isn't she really annoying?"

"Wow, that's what I just thought, too. She's been fawning so much, it's going to be difficult for all of us."

At that, my footsteps slowed down on their own. I listened and walked slowly. Apparently, this was not something they would want me to listen to.

"It's really annoying. Marina originally used to be clumsy, how did her stamina improve like that?"

"I know. Did she take any good medicine?"

The two maids were so engrossed in their gossiping that they did not even notice I was passing a hallway a few meters away from them. The cleaning tools had been out of their hands for such a long time that I thought that they would be scolded enough to cry if the head maid found out about that.

'Cute.'

I smirked.

Gossip stemmed from jealousy... Compared to the days when I was treated like a crazy lady in the social world, it felt just the same.

Since I am being loved by the head maid and maids who had been working here for a while, they could not say this in front of me and were gossiping like this.

'I am going to work here as long as possible.'

Since the owner of the mansion was the leader of the merchant community, the high-ranking nobles did not even come near us because they thought it was vulgar. The only aristocrat who came was only an ambivalent status that lies between the baron-level commoners and the nobles.

Consequently, no one saw me, even as they passed me by to the Capital.

'It was nice to have peace of mind.'

After leaving the laundry in the laundry room, the task assigned to me was to fold the white handkerchief neatly. It was surprising to see that so much work was put into the white handkerchiefs I had been using without thinking before.

However, I did not feel grateful to the maids who would have worked to prepare a handkerchief for me at the time. It was because I also did not really want the owner of this family to say thank you to me either.

"Marina, give it to me!"

When I folded the handkerchief, the maid in charge of filling every drawer in the house of the leader beckoned to me.

The Obsessive Male Lead Wants To Become My Husbandजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें