Chapter 33

Chapter 33

“Now, he will never touch Miss Ophelia with those dirty hands again.”

My whole body stiffened, and I could not move properly. Inside the box was a ring with the design of Baron Sabe’s brooch.

…Stained with blood.

And, what was included with the bloody ring…

“Cassius.”

I was trying my best to speak, though my tongue did not move properly.

“Why…”

Cassius replied in a puzzled tone.

“Evelyn, I just did what you wanted.”

I was at a loss for words.

Of course, I wanted Baron Sabe to get what he deserved. But, at best, I only thought to the extent to which Baron Sabe was expelled from the social world and driven back to his countryside, never to get close to Ophelia again.

Not physically amputating his hand like this…

‘This… that is too much.’

I touched my forehead.

‘I was wrong for thinking that Cassius Brudenell would act with common sense.’

It was a misjudgment, but I could not stand still. To prevent something like this from happening again in the future, I had to make it clear to Cassius.

This is not what I wanted.

Whatever crime he commits, it does not matter to me, but never do this because of me.

With that thought, I stared straight up at Cassius.

“…It was, but this is not what I wanted.”

“Can you tell me why?”
​​
Hearing that, he opened his eyes and looked at me. His eyes as if he truly did not understand what I was trying to say made me suffocate.

“Didn’t you also hate Baron Sabe? So, why…”

“What he did was disgusting. And, of course, I hated it.”

I tried to explain it as calmly as possible.

“If it had not been for the Lord, I would have inflicted a greater humiliation on the spot. Even so, this was… too much.”

Cassius then opened his mouth as if to say something, but I was faster.

“This is a crime. The only reason why the Lord is able to survive even after doing this is because you are the heir to the Duke’s family.”

“What does that mean?”

He did not seem angry or disappointed. It was just a conversation he was genuinely curious about.

At that moment, all desire to persuade him vanished. It would have been better if he had been very angry. Because it meant there was something he might feel guilty about. However, my conversation with him ran parallel all the way.

I do not understand him.

He does not understand me.

So, there would be no progress between the two of us.

After a moment of silence, I barely figured out an answer.

“Yes, I do not think it is a problem from the Lord’s point of view. Though this is…” I said, barely pointing to the box with trembling hands.

“Please take it back.”

“…All right.”

Eventually, Cassius nodded his head, closed the lid of the box and put it into his arms again.