Chapter 28

"Just pretend you love him."

"I beg your pardon?"

What I heard was so unbelievable that I burst out laughing.

Just pretend you love him...?

Meanwhile, the Duchess did not seem to mind my absurd reaction as she added her words.

"Just as I was. Show him the reaction Cassius wants. Then, my son will gradually change as well. There is no such thing as true love from the bottom of your heart. Do you know nobles who married out of love?"

"...But, the Duchess-"

"Oh, me?"

She then smiled brightly at me and said.

"Yes, I was. I was lucky. I wanted a man who was wealthy, with a high family reputation, and who would love only me. And, he really was my ideal type. Well, wouldn't it be like that for any woman?"

The words of the Duchess, who seemed to be proud of her simple husband, contained facts.

The Duke of Brudenell's strength is also Cassius' strength.

The Duchess also emphasized that Cassius was also an ideal type that any woman would fall in love with.

I sighed.

"So, what would I get?"
​​
"Young Lady likes money."

The Duchess answered without hesitation.

"Use it to your heart's content. No matter how extravagant you are, I will never rebuke you. But... Do not run away..."

Saying so, the Duchess, who had a terrifying resemblance to Cassius, stared straight at me.

"My son may be nice to you because he loves you, but I will not."

And, that was the end of the conversation.

The Duchess sent me out as a way of calling the maid to clear my seat, and I had to leave the greenhouse in a dazed state.

'...Pretending to be in love.'

I sighed deeply at the thought.

In fact, even though the purpose was completely different, it was similar to the plan I had made because I also decided to act completely different from Ophelia, who only rejected him in the original story.

It also meant that I had to be somewhat friendly to him.

However, pretending to love is a completely different story.

As I walked, lost in thought, I nearly collided with someone. As always, a handsome man with a captivating appearance gazed down at me.

"...Lord Cassius."

I took a breath.

Cassius then frowned.

"Evelyn, what are you thinking about?"

"I am not thinking much about anything."

"I know it is a lie."

His voice lowered.

Moments later, I decided to look straight up at him and opened my mouth.

"If I tell you what you think, will you believe me?"

"...."

"See? You would not believe me even if I tell you, anyway."

"...I will believe you."

Eventually, Cassius answered in a low-pitched voice. No matter where I looked, it sounded like he actually might believe or trust me.

The urge to laugh out loud swelled in my stomach.