Chapter 26

It's you. You.

Even though I wanted to say that, I pretended to answer calmly.

"The servants must have exaggerated. Originally, there was only a little dust in my eyes, but it seems like the maid told others I cried."
​​
Strictly speaking, the maids of the Duchess were at least the daughters of the countess, the noble girls of the same class as me. So, I was never in a position to be considered inferior.

But, I have made remarks against them openly because of the thought that I should act differently from Ophelia as much as possible.

Finally, the ceremony was almost over.

Cassius gently removed my veil.

I was terribly nervous.

It was the moment when we needed to kiss to seal the oath.

As his face slowly drew closer, I shut my eyes tightly. However, there was no kiss as expected.

"I love you, Evelyn."

There were only the quiet whispers that reached my ears. He then grabbed my hand and lifted it, before kissing on the back of my hand.

Moments later, a sizable, gorgeous diamond ring that could be seen without having to squint was placed on my hand.

And so, I became the official fiancée of Cassius Brudenell.

The next morning.

I started the first day as Cassius' fiancée with breakfast with him.

Of course, I did not ask for that in the first place.

Cassius was just waiting for me in the dining room with a face that it was only natural for us to have breakfast together.

Seeing that, as soon as I saw him, this was the first thing I said.

"I need to get an engagement present."

The first step in 'Getting away from Cassius Brudenell' was to reveal money hungry and openly show a snobbish appearance in front of him.

At my words, he raised one eyebrow with a slightly surprised expression.

"Come to think of it, I cannot believe that a noble young lady of this size is getting engaged without receiving a single jewel... It does not make sense, does it? I am sure even my parents would have received a lot of them."

"...Did it bother you?"

Surprisingly, Cassius was a little regretful.
​​
"Of course!"

I nodded my head continuously.

"In fact, that is why I ran away. Does it make sense that only my parents are receiving the gifts?"

"Then, why... tell me directly..."

"Oh, you do not know a woman's heart that much? You should have given it before I spoke up. Though you do not seem to know so much... seeing that I have said this myself, withstanding my shyness."

Was that too much...?

It did not seem to fit in with 'Evelyn Garneid' so far, so I glanced into Cassius' eyes. Even though I am good at acting, there is nothing good about being caught.

"Just say it."

Cassius opened his mouth seriously.

"I will give you anything."

I stared straight at him.

If it was Ophelia, she would have chosen a modest gift in this situation. Such a small but sincere gift that will only snort when most people hear it.