Chapter 48

Chapter 48

That evening.

I looked straight at the man sitting across from me at the long table.

Cassius insisted that I have dinner alone with him before returning to the Empress's Palace. His golden eyes glistened as if showing off its presence even when the evening sunset was pouring.

" I met Ophelia and Sir David today."

"Is that so?"

He was not surprised at all.

"They wanted to get married."

"Already?"

At that, one of Cassius' eyebrows rose.

"Yes. Sir David already introduced her to his parents, and it seemed that they're serious."

"What do you think?"

"Well, there's no reason to object, is there?"

I shrugged as I continued my words, "Sir David is a good man. He was prepared to be isolated from his parents for the sake of Ophelia."

"Of course, you want to help them both."

"Yes."

I nodded.

"Sir David needs the permission of the Duke to marry Ophelia."

"Yes."

"Wonderful, please do your best."

"Are you talking about me?"

Cassius asked back with a voice full of surprise.

"Yes. Sir David's the commander of the Duke's knights, though he's no less than Lord's right hand. If the Lord strongly sided with Sir David, the Duke would approve of him."

"Hmm..."

He thought about my words for a moment. For some reason, the corner of her mouth looked like it was twitching... Did I imagine it?

"It would be better if they get married as soon as possible."

"Yes?"

"Isn't that what you want, Evelyn?"

"Well, I..."

I was embarrassed because I could not understand his intentions. Of course, for me, the sooner this problem was resolved, the better. Besides, if Ophelia married David, she would also become a Viscountess.

'Still, before her marriage... I wanted to be with Ophelia—'

I bit my lip.

It was because I realized that my desire to stay with Ophelia was nothing more than greed.

"That sounds good."

Having made up my mind, I nodded again.

"As long as Sir David and Ophelia are all right, we'll have the ceremony as soon as possible. The house will be bought by me as a wedding present. Is that okay?"

"Of course."

Cassius smiled brightly.

"Do whatever you want."

Seeing that, I gazed at him, a little surprised.

...So easy?

'I thought there would be a condition...?'

Although it was a bit daunting, I had no reason to question it as it would be nice if he would acquiesce to my request.

"Thank you. Thanks to you, I can put my mind at ease."