Chapter 56

Chapter 56

It was not surprising at this point.

It was clear that I had become the heroine of the novel without my knowledge. After the male and female protagonists of the original novel, even the villainess now likes me as well. Does this not sound like an introduction to a popular novel...?

I let out a sigh.

"I'll believe it's not a proposal."

Hermia stared at me with her eyes wide open, and after a moment, her laughter rang out through the room.

"Oh, did you expect that? Unfortunately, Young Lady is far from my ideal type."

"That's a relief."

I was relieved. Hermia apparently likes a man who has all the wealth, power and ability, though she does not know anything about people.

"Think of it as a favor from a friend."

"...A friend?"

My eyes narrowed by themselves.

Rather than being surprised, it was more of a question about her intention than a surprise. It was common knowledge in the Empire that Princess Hermia had a high nose and did not easily get along with the daughters of the prestigious families.

"Yes, friend."

Saying so, she smiled softly and added, "I haven't made any until now... Though for some reason, I think it would be fine if it were the Young Lady."

Even though she reached out her hand, I could not take it.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Nothing."

Hermia's answer was deceptively simple.

"Isn't Young Lady asking her friend for something?"

I was at a loss for words. It seemed like she was really treating me as her friend.

'...Why?'

Hermia said cheerfully as if reading my thoughts.

"Although you can see why I'm doing this right now, there's no particular reason even if you're thinking hard about it. I just like the Young Lady. What about you, won't you accept my offer?"

"...."

Silence passed.

I rolled my eyes and glanced around the room, but I could not find anything that could be a clue.

'Is she really trying to help me because she wants to be my friend...?'

It would not be a lie to say that she gave up on Cassius. Already, rumors of a hot night between me and him spread quickly. Therefore, there was no reason for Hermia to hate me the way she hated Ophelia in the original. Nevertheless, not hating and being friends are quite different, aren't they?

'...Well, it is not that important.'

I sighed.

No matter what Hermia's intentions were, I could not accept her offer.

"Your Highness the Princess, I'm grateful for the offer, but unfortunately, I can't accept it."

"Why?"

Hermia frowned.

I bit my lip.

Well, because she already lost to Cassius once in the original novel. That meant that the result would still be the same today.