Chapter 14

“…A marriage proposal?”

I quietly repeated what I had heard in a daze.

“Yes, the proposal.”

“….”

Silence passed.

After a while, my father spoke his words in an uncharacteristically serious tone.

“Is there anything you want to say, Evelyn?”

“…No.”

I have told many lies to Count Garneid and his wife, though this time, I was sincere.

Indeed, I had nothing to say.

Rather…

‘That madman!’

Does my father even know that I am on the verge of ripping my head off?

No, of course, he does not.

In his mind now, if Lord Brudenell and I get married, there would be nothing but profit for the Count Garneid family.

“You may have just met Lord Cassius slightly so far, but things are completely different now. It is time to change your mindset. You cannot act like you used to be anymore, and…”

I listened to my father’s tedious nagging in one ear and let it out through the other.

Now is not the time to act as a good listener or obedient successor.

“Father.”

I calmly cut off his words.

“It was purely coincidental that I met Lord Cassius Brudenell. Why is he… I do not know why he sent me a proposal, but there is nothing inappropriate between me and him…”

“Yes, it might be a coincidence.”

My mother intervened with all her grace.

“However, I am glad that the two of us do not seem to have the need to go around, saying that this marriage proposal is a lie.”

“….”

“No, isn’t that fortunate for our lovely Evelyn?”

As she said that, my mother’s gentle hand brushed my hair. Though I could just only bite my lip without saying a word.

If I were to say that this marriage proposal was someone’s joke…

‘It would have been of no use.’

I sighed.

The opponent was not just a modest nobleman on the outskirts—it was Cassius Brudenell. Rather than trust my excuse that the proposal was someone’s lie, my father would prefer to send a messenger to the Duke of Brudenell right away.

“…You would not be fooled if I said that, anyway.”

“I am just glad that you finally appreciate your parents, Evelyn.”

Mother answered gracefully.

“Lord Cassius has sent us a proposal of marriage… and here you did not even deny it. So, don’t you have to go and do what you have to?”

“…A polite refusal?”

I asked with a glimmer of hope.

“No way.”

Hearing my question, my mother raised one eyebrow. She did not even ask me why I did not want to marry Cassius.

Of course, the reason was understandable.