Chapter 52

Chapter 52

"Yes."

Evelyn nodded her head.

"More than ever."

"...."

Although Hermia lost her words for a moment, she continued, "I know that Your Highness wants Lord Cassius. I, too, think that Lord Cassius suits Your Highness the Princess more than me. So, please..."

"I don't like it."

She interrupted Evelyn.

"Lord Cassius... Yes?"

"I don't like it."

Evelyn, who responded immediately without hesitation for a moment, seemed to have no intention of concealing the fact.

"Why?"

Because of that, Hermia was genuinely curious.

Cassius Brudenell had all the wealth, looks, and status. Of course, Evelyn, the successor of Count Garneid, also lived a life without lacking anything, though the next Duchess of Brudenell would be a different life.

"If I were you, I would never miss this chance."

"I think it's right to give what I don't want to someone who would cherish it more."

"You didn't answer the really important questions."

"...."

Silence passed.

The answer that came back after a while was something that Hermia had not expected at all.

"I... I have someone else I love."

"What...?"

Her eyes widened as she asked back. It was the first time she had ever heard that Evelyn Garneid had a hidden affection for someone.

"He's a kind and generous person who takes care of me. He's always considerate of me. So... I want to let Lord Cassius go."

'...And, I want to get out of this,' those words were stuck in her throat.

There was only one reason why Hermia did not utter a single word. It was because the face of Evelyn Garneid, talking about her lover, was far from that of an immature Countess who fell in love without a countermeasure. On the contrary, she looked like she swallowed bitter pills.

That was the analogy that would be the closest.

"Hmm."

Hermia's eyes narrowed.

"You don't love either of them."

"....!"

Evelyn's body stiffened as if she had been caught off guard.

"Whether it's Lord Cassius or that man... The Young Lady doesn't love either of them. Rather, it seems that the Young Lady would be more reluctant to be with the man she loves?"

"I know my heart."

At her words, Evelyn replied sharply.

"Anyway, I really want to let Lord Cassius go."

Hermia laughed.

"Well, it seems to me that you meant that."

She really enjoyed it.

She thought that they were a cockroach couple*, so she was quite reluctant. Though now, she did not even have to ask the Empress.
[ T/N: It's a term used by single people to belittle couples to say that their behavior is annoying. ]