Chapter 43

Chapter 43

"...Gabriel?"

A shrill voice came out of my mouth.

The young man with green eyes and disheveled water-colored hair as if he had just gotten off the ship, was certainly Gabriel Vecchio.

"Eve."

Gabriel slowly approached me.

His soft mouth and friendly voice were still there, though I could somewhat feel a determination that was different from before.

"I really, really missed you."

"What are you doing here...!"

I cut off my words.

This was not the time for this. If it was discovered that a commoner with no special status like Gabriel had broken into the Empress's Palace to meet me, the aftermath would be incomparable to the case of Cassius' invasion.

As I took a breath, I turned and spoke calmly to him.

"...If I am caught meeting an outsider at the Empress's Palace, I will be in trouble. Please, go back now."

"Do you think I came here without knowing any of that?"

"Yes."

I nodded my head.

How would Gabriel know about the conversation between the Empress and me? Unless he stole the letters between Cassius and I.

"...Did you open the letters that I sent?"

"What letters are you talking about?"

Gabriel asked back with a puzzled face.

His expression did not seem like it was a lie at all, so I sighed.

"That's fine. Anyway, please leave as soon as possible. It has nothing to do with Gabriel's reasons for being here."

"It doesn't matter!"

He exclaimed urgently.

I was surprised to find that Gabriel had shouted louder than he had ever done, so I hurriedly covered his mouth.

"What are you going to do if someone hears you-"

Gabriel gently pulled his body out of my grasp.

"Eve, I'm here to save you."

"...Yes?"

I doubted my ears for a moment.

Did he come to save me...? What nonsense is he talking about?

"I know you think it's nonsense, Eve, because you're a realistic person."

"...."

"But, listen. I have the power to save you and escape. If you just nod your head once... you'll be free."

At his words, I just stared blankly into his eyes.

Even though the meaning of Gabriel's whispering words was conveyed to me well enough, I did not understand the inner meaning.

Gabriel Vecchio.

A young man working on a boat.

Although he has his own abilities, abilities and power are completely different issues. To set me completely free from this life, I needed the same power as Prince Brudenell. What kind of power does he have for a commoner young man who seemed just over twenty-year-old?
​​
Still, I did not want to doubt him.

To be precise, I did not want to suspect him in 'like that.'

"...Why?"

I barely managed to formulate an answer as I licked my lips.