Chapter 45

Chapter 45

The world seemed to stop.

No, was it actually her own heart that stopped...?

Though hearing the sound of her heart beating in her ears, it did not seem like so. Opening her mouth, Ophelia then closed it right away. It was because she could not believe the current situation.

...How could someone like David Marquell propose to her?

To be honest, even David's words that she heard a while ago seemed like hallucinations. However, the twinkling diamond ring in front of her was so vivid, and David's voice proposing was also echoing in her ear.

"...Yes."

Ophelia parted her lips.

Ophelia's voice was trembling and choked, but fortunately, it seemed to be enough to convey the message to David.

"....!"

Because he hugged her tightly with a bright face.
​​
"Miss Ophelia..."
​​
David called her name in a melting voice.

"I can't express how happy I am right now."

"Me, too. I feel the same"
​​
Saying that, Ophelia's cheeks were dyed red.

A proposal...
​​
Maybe, she could be David's wife!

Of course, Ophelia was not a fool. It was not as though she did not know that it was very unlikely that she would become David's official wife. Perhaps, she could be satisfied with being a mistress...

...Just like her mother.

'...I do not care.'

Ophelia swallowed her dry saliva.

The only thing that mattered to her was the fact that she could be with David. Why does position matter?

Ophelia was very satisfied with her own life.

Even though she was a despised person, she has never been hungry and did not have to wander around the streets looking for a dry bed when storms hit.

So, she was fine.

Of course, it would break her heart if a woman other than herself stood by David as his wife...

Still, it will be fine.

Ophelia had learned to give up what she wanted from a very young age.

"Then, Miss Ophelia..."

David's voice focused his gaze on Ophelia, who had been pensive in thought.

"Let's go get my parents' permission. Right Now."

"Yes...?"

Ophelia asked back, confused.

"I've already invited them. They're probably waiting in the drawing room by now. It will not be easy, but if we get their consent, I will formally put the request to the house of Count Garneid."

"Pe... Permission?"

As she said that, she blinked her eyes rapidly. Her long eyelashes quivered.

"...Don't say nonsense. Sir David's parents wouldn't accept me."

"Then, why did you accept the proposal?"
​​
Her heart was pounded at the sound of David's voice dripping with a pitiful expression, and Ophelia's eyes lit up with tears.

"Miss Ophelia. I didn't ask you to be my wife just to please you. Really... I asked for your hand in hopes that you would become my lifelong companion and the mother of my children. So... "