Chapter 64

It was a mere coincidence that Cassius found Evelyn Garneid disguised as someone else.

Until the mansion where the agents of the 'Aisle' were selected, news has not yet been reported that Cassus has been pushed out. Naturally, the head of the maids had sent the candidate list to him. And, at the forefront of that candidate list was a maid with an eye-catching history.

Came from the capital and seemed to want to run away from debtors, they lent her the status of a maid who returned to her hometown a few years ago...

From the moment he saw these simple descriptions, Cassius' hands began to tremble like swaying tree branches.

The tremors reached the part about her impressions of her maid. Everywhere he heard, it was a description of Evelyn... Except for the only one fact that her hair was black and not brunette. Nonetheless, the color of her hair could be disguised with cheap hair dye.

"Evelyn."

Cassius uttered the name out of his mouth.

"Is it you...?"

No answer came back.

It was natural because Evelyn was not here. Nevertheless, he, as always, was overcome by hallucinations as though she was really answering him.

'...I have to go right away.'

With that thought, Cassius stood up. The parchment in his hand was crumpled. Of course, there could be a chance it was not Evelyn, though his intuition was shouting at him...

...This was Evelyn Garneid.

The one and only fiancée he had been looking for so much.

And, a few days later, when he found a pale-tired 'Marina Salt' in the office of his loyal henchman... Cassius once again thanked his intuition.

゚・ : * ✧ * :・ ゚

"Come back with me, Evelyn."

"...."

I licked my lips.

Even though I wanted to respond, I could not think of anything.

'...Crazy.'

Cassius would never lie when he said that he would scatter my face all over the Empire. I could not live with my face covered for the rest of my life, so I would eventually be caught someday.

"...I don't want to go."

"You're going to go."

Cassius spoke softly.

"I want you to be there."

Still, I kept talking stubbornly.

"I didn't even want to meet someone like you in the first place!"

After saying that, I squeezed my eyes shut, thinking that he would be angry. However, only silence came back.

"....?"

When I slowly opened my eyes, suddenly, Cassius was already right in front of me.

"Do you hate me that much?"

Asking that, he continued in a low voice.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"...I told you."

I turned my head to avoid his tenacious gaze. I could not stand the resentment in his voice though I opened my mouth again, "It's just that you didn't listen."

"Is that so?"

Cassius muttered and let out a laugh mixed with a sigh.

But, why...?